This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3358 / 50°20'9"N
Longitude: -4.6359 / 4°38'9"W
OS Eastings: 212517
OS Northings: 51757
OS Grid: SX125517
Mapcode National: GBR N6.X905
Mapcode Global: FRA 1854.XCV
Entry Name: Place House
Listing Date: 13 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70709
Location: Fowey, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: Fowey
Built-Up Area: Fowey
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fowey
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 05 SW 2/63 13.3.51
A large stone-built house. Mainly early C16 but of mid to late C15 origin.
The seat of the Treffry family, playing a large part in the life of Fowey,
and was defended against the French in 1475 by Dame Elizabeth Treffry,
and soon afterwards strengthened and largely rebuilt in early C16. The
east front dates from 1791 and mainly from 1817-45. The south front is
of 2 storeys with 10 windows overall, broken by 2 extremely fine early
C16 ornamented bay windows and by external turrets and a large square
tower on west end with corbelled and battlemented parapet. This replaces
a tower described by Leland which fell in C18. The windows are stone
mullioned with traceried lights and label moulds. The eaves parapet bay
windows and turrets are battlemented. Interior Gothic revival.
Listing NGR: SX1252851745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings