This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7154 / 50°42'55"N
Longitude: -2.4394 / 2°26'21"W
OS Eastings: 369072
OS Northings: 90727
OS Grid: SY690907
Mapcode National: GBR PY.RFBC
Mapcode Global: FRA 57S6.1GH
Entry Name: 56 and 57, High West Street
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104380
Location: Dorchester, West Dorset, Dorset, DT1
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2015
SY 6990 7/78
HIGH WEST STREET (North Side),
Nos 56 and 57
1849. Stucco. Each house has 3 storey 2 window front. Deep C19 modillion cornice. Rusticated ground floor and quoins. 1st floor windows have moulded architraves and cornices on console brackets. Individual cast-iron balconies. Moulded architraves to 2nd floor windows. Panelled doors, framed by pilasters. Fanlights. Modern windows on ground floor. On site of town house of the Trenchards of Wolfeton.
During the First World War No. 57 High West Street was used as Southern Command Depot 170 Dorchester for the Dorset Territorial Force Association. It was the headquarters of the Dorset Territorial Force Association during the Second World War.
Nos 48 to 65A (consec) including the Shire Hall, Holy Trinity Church, the Museum, St. Peter's Church and monument to William Barnes in churchyard immediately south of West Tower form a group.
Listing NGR: SY6907290727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings