This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8933 / 54°53'35"N
Longitude: -2.9375 / 2°56'14"W
OS Eastings: 339970
OS Northings: 555796
OS Grid: NY399557
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.VP
Mapcode Global: WH802.V8DK
Entry Name: Tithe Barn
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218932
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386917
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE WEST WALLS
671-1/10/315 (East side)
01/06/49 Tithe Barn
Tithe barn for the Priory of St Mary. For Prior Gondibour
c1470s, with C19 alterations and 1969-71 restoration. Squared
blocks of red sandstone (some with masons marks). Graduated
sandstone flag roof with one coped gable.
7 1/2 bays, single storey except for the last, westernmost,
bay which is now 2-storey. The north side was probably open
originally, and consisted of large timber posts supporting the
roof trusses. A small section of the later sandstone infill
has survived. The south elevation fronting onto Heads Lane is
a 3ft 7ins thick sandstone wall with 8 slit vents with wide
splayed reveals on the inside.
In 1824 the two eastern bays of the barn were converted for
use as the Carlisle Dispensary and a doorway and window were
inserted in this wall. These openings were blocked in red
sandstone during the C20 restoration. The eastern gable wall
has a high 2-light cusped-headed window and a blocked C19
window beneath. In 1875 the west bay and gable were in danger
of collapse and were dismantled. This part of the Tithe Barn
has now been reconstructed in painted concrete blocks, into 2
storeys containing kitchen and cloakrooms.
INTERIOR retains its massive oak roof trusses which are
supported on timber posts. The posts on the south side are
built against the sandstone wall and are supported by
sandstone corbels which are about one third of the way up the
wall. There are large concave braces from these posts to the
underside of the tie-beams. In addition on the north side
there are similar braces from the posts to the wall plate.
Only 6 of the 7 trusses survive and these have king posts with
2 parallel struts to each side from the tie to the principal
rafter. Also parallel to the struts are braces from the king
post to the rafter. Some of the king posts still retain
concave braces from the post to the ridge piece. 3 rows of
For history see CR Davey CWAAS Trans.,NS LXXII.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
Davey CR: LXXII: The Carlisle Tithe Barn: P.74-84).
Listing NGR: NY3996355792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings