This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5378 / 51°32'16"N
Longitude: -0.9017 / 0°54'6"W
OS Eastings: 476271
OS Northings: 182672
OS Grid: SU762826
Mapcode National: GBR C4S.DW4
Mapcode Global: VHDWG.BL5Z
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246196
Location: Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Built-Up Area: Henley-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
696/1/58 HART STREET
26-JAN-51 PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
Aisled church with clerestory, N & S chancel chapels, Perp tower at W end of N aisle. C13 origins, although externally Perp and C19. C13 arcades, rebuilt and heightened in C14/C15. C15 NE chapel of 1460. South aisle rebuilt in 1789. Second N aisle added by Benjamin Ferrey in 1853-4, in the Decorated style. Ferrey also replaced windows and added a clerestory.
INTERIOR: interior has a C17 font (now disused), together with an active Victorian one. 1920 rood screen by G H Fellowes Prynne; elaborate wrought iron Victorian screens N & S of chancel. 1890 painted shield and stencilling in chancel. 1621 monument to Dame Elizabeth Periam with effigy, stylistically progressive for date. Much Victorian stained glass, largely 1890 by Lavers & Westlake.
HISTORY: A charter of 1272 granting indulgences to those contributing to the building or repair of the church is the earliest key date in the church's history. Little remains of this Early English phase, the church having undergone a major remodelling around 1400. The tower is traditionally assigned to the time of John Longland, Bishop of Lincoln 1521-47. A multi-phased medieval church with significant later phases and fittings, the parish church of St Mary forms part of notable groups on Church Avenue, Hart Street and at the bridgehead (Hart Street and Thameside Junction).
SOURCE: J. Sherwood & N. Pevsner, 'Buildings of England: Oxfordshire' (1974), 636-7.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings