This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4838 / 53°29'1"N
Longitude: -2.2281 / 2°13'41"W
OS Eastings: 384961
OS Northings: 398591
OS Grid: SJ849985
Mapcode National: GBR DNG.74
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.RP6L
Entry Name: Paragon Mill
Listing Date: 11 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219048
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388215
Location: Manchester, M4
Electoral Ward/Division: Ancoats and Clayton
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester Church of the Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8498, JERSEY STREET, Ancoats,
698-1/17/453, (South side)
Cotton spinning mill. electrically powered. 1912 for McConnell
and Kennedy. Brick with white stone and terracotta dressings.
Concrete floor. Internal structure of cast iron columns, steel
beams and concrete floors. Six storeys, ten bays, trapeziform
plan, with ground floor extension designed to house
preparation machinery. External stair tower against S
elevation, and external towers built to house electric motors
also built against this wall. Simplified baroque detail, with
sill bands to ground and 1st floors, wide stone string course
between 4th and 5th floors, pilasters above and below this,
and corner turrets with segmentally-arched bands and banded
parapets; segmental-headed 9-pane 3-3-3 windows divided by
pilasters, with tower at SE corner surmounted by broken
pediment and parapet. W return side in similar style, with
narrow stair and sprinkler tower slightly canted back and
rising 2 further storeys. Entrance advanced from base of
tower, which is also linked by a bridge to the adjoining
Sedgwick New Mill (Sedgwick Mills, qv). Single-storeyed
extension (part of the original design) to the E of the site
intended to house preparation machinery.
The mill was built to an advanced design for electric power
using Manchester Corporation mains supply.
The mill forms part of the McConnell Kennedy works, together
with the earlier Sedgwick Mills and Royal Mill (qv). A further
mill (Long Mill) is no longer extant. McConnell Kennedy formed
one of the largest of the Manchester textile firms, which
amalgamated with the Fine Cotton Spinners and Doublers
Association in 1898.
Early example of mains electrically powered mill, typifying
early C20 construction; important part of group of McConnell
Listing NGR: SJ8496198591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings