This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9231 / 51°55'23"N
Longitude: -0.7131 / 0°42'47"W
OS Eastings: 488595
OS Northings: 225734
OS Grid: SP885257
Mapcode National: GBR D1Q.DJH
Mapcode Global: VHDTM.LXCM
Entry Name: Liscombe House and Wall with Pavilion to South of West Wing
Listing Date: 26 September 1951
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350801
Location: Soulbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Soulbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Soulbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NE SOULBURY LISCOMBE PARK
3/62 Liscombe House and wall
with pavilion to south of
W. wing. (formerly
listed as Liscombe Park House)
Country House. Probably mid C17, altered late C17 and late C18.
For Lovett family. English bond brick, slate roof to N., tiled
pitches to N. and W. wing, old tiles to E. wing, brick chimneys.
Ranges around 3 sides of a courtyard, that to E. a service wing with
central gateway and stables to south. N. and W. wings altered in
picturesque Gothic manner 1769 and originally roughcast. 2 storeys.
N. front has castellated parapet, raised in the form of a pediment
over 3 centre bays. 11 bays in all. End bays are advanced
with flanking round turrets, 3 centre bays also advanced but with
square turrets. Turrets have plinths, band courses and blind
arrow slits. Barred sash wind6ws in heavily moulded white-painted
stone architrave surrounds, some with segmental brick relieving
arches. Altered doorways between end bays: left entry blocked,
now with a small wooden casement; right entry has C20 6-panelled door
in C20 stone architrave with pulvinated frieze and pediment, and small
sash window above. Small round windows to both floors between
bays 6 and 7. E. return wall has castellated porch with pointed
arched doorways, 3-light triple-pointed leaded window, and 2
circular windows to first floor W. front of 7 bays has minimal giant
pilasters, and band oourse to central section. 2 outer bays on
each side have ogee gables with moulded copings, 3 centre bays have
battlemented parapet altered to crow-stepped gables. Barred sash
windows with wooden hoods. Wide half-glazed door in fifth bay has
wooden surround of Doric pilasters and plain entablature. Groups of
C17 square brick chimney shafts set diagonally, 4 between bays 2 and
3, 2 between bays 4 and 5. Large projecting stack to right side
wall has 6 shafts, round, square and octagonal with moulded neckings,
on moulded entablature base. Battlemented wall to right with pointed
archway and wrought iron gate leads to small square plan pavilion with
battlements, round openings, blind arch to E. and flush panelled door
to S. Courtyard elevations have sash windows. Entry to W. wing has
C17 white-painted shouldered stone architrave surround with pulvinated
frieze, cornice and wide half-glazed door. Extensions of c.1920 in
matching style in angle between N. and W. wings. These wings have
lead rainwater heads, some re-sited, dated 1639, 1665, 1670 and 1774.
E. range has moulded eaves cornice with dentils. 3 bays on each side
of central gateway. N. part of range has 2 storeys of sash windows
and re-sited C17 2-light stone mullion window, moulded and painted,
in blocked arch to right of E. side. Late C17 stable bays are of one
storey and attic, the W. side with 3 blocked oeil-de-boeuf windows. The
E side has 3 wooden mullion and transom windows with barred casements,
2 board doors in painted stone architrave frames with keyblocks, and
2 hipped semi-dormers with hayloft door and sash window. Central mid
C17 gateway has arch with raised brick keyblock, 3-light barred casement
above, stepped gables and flanking pairs of pilasters with arched niches
and raised brick panels between. E. side of gateway retains some capitals
and lengths of entablature above the pilasters, W. side has been altered.
Interior has C17 and early C18 style panelling, fireplaces and staircase
all installed c.1920. May incorporate fragments. and plan of older building.
RCHM II p. 268-9 Mon.3.
Illustrated in Lipscombe, History of the County of Buckingham Vol. III p.467
Listing NGR: SP8859525734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings