This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.513 / 51°30'46"N
Longitude: -0.1687 / 0°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 527172
OS Northings: 180925
OS Grid: TQ271809
Mapcode National: GBR 6C.9T
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.174J
Entry Name: Chester House
Listing Date: 10 April 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209197
Location: Westminster, London, W2
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2780 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CLARENDON PLACE W2
Villa-town house. 1925-26 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott for himself. Grey
brick with sparing stone dressings, ferro-concrete floors; pantile roof.
Restrained carefully proportioned stripped Renaissance design. Set
back behind shallow "area" garden. Low 2 storeys, effectively read as
1½ storeys to centre but reverse proportion to wings. 7 bays wide
including broad wings with hipped roofs, slightly advanced from ground
floor but with the 1st floor between them set well back to form
terrace. Central ashlar dressed doorway with shallow pediment.
Slightly recessed box-framed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged
arches, tripartite to ground floor of wings and, on their 1st floor,
fully developed as 3 separate sashes grouped as 2 narrow ones flanking
main central one and giving on to "pergola" balconies. The returns of
wings to terrace have 2 light windows and there are 2 tripartite windows
to the recessed centre. Stone plinth, ground floor sill band, and
fluted brick and stone coped terrace parapet. Moulded stone crowning
cornice with eaves resting on blocking. Elegantly proportioned chimney
stacks with shallow stone cappings. Interior, with very restrained use of
simplified classical details and mouldings, has a functionally planned
ground floor incorporating garage in north east corner, kitchen, former
servants' sitting room and former play room and nursery, the only
reception rooms being the off-centre T-plan hall to right of entrance
lobby and the dining room by the kitchen to left; the staircase rises
on the cross axis of the hall to serve the piano nobile reception rooms
and principal bedrooms giving on to the terrace - some redecoration
but otherwise unaltered.
Representative British Architects: C. H. Reilly
Twentieth Century Houses: Raymond McGrath
Listing NGR: TQ2717280925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings