History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Town Hall, Including Lock Up, Stocks and Whipping Post

A Grade II Listed Building in Brading, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6822 / 50°40'56"N

Longitude: -1.143 / 1°8'34"W

OS Eastings: 460640

OS Northings: 87303

OS Grid: SZ606873

Mapcode National: GBR 9D7.5V0

Mapcode Global: FRA 87H8.NHP

Entry Name: The Old Town Hall, Including Lock Up, Stocks and Whipping Post

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310127

Location: Brading, Isle of Wight, PO36

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Brading

Built-Up Area: Brading

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Brading St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Brading

Listing Text

BRADING
SZ6088 HIGH STREET (East side)
1352-0/6/215 The Old Town Hall, inc Lock-up,
18/01/67 stocks and whipping post
GV II

Town Hall incorporating lock-up, stocks and whipping post. C17
in origin, altered in C18 and restored in 1875. Ground floor
left side stone rubble, right side 1st floor red brick has red
brick arcade, the rear part is of Isle of Wight stone rubble.
South gable has C19 applied framing in eclectic design. Old
tiled roof with C19 iron weathervane. Front elevation is
partly stone with 2 C18 round-headed brick arches with
cross-shaped iron tie. Stringcourse. 2 casements with leaded
lights and cogged cornice below. Open ground floor has stone
flagstones. C17 lock-up to left hand side with iron grille
over door with 3 diamond shaped bars. Wooden door of
horizontal planks.
Interior has wooden bench, the bottom part probably C17 the
upper part renewed in C19. Right hand side has whipping post
up to ceiling, a chamfered post with lambs-tongue stops and
holes for inserting chains. Beside this the-wooden stocks, C17
or C18 in two pieces on wooden supports. Unusually five holes.
Half winder stair to upper room which has early C19 stone
fireplace with pilasters. Roof of 1875 with through purlins
and queen struts. First floor was the meeting place of the
bailiffs and burgesses of Brading until the C18 when it was
converted into a school. Brown's print of 1821 shows the
building was originally timber framed on the first floor with
diagonal tension braces.


Listing NGR: SZ6063887303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.