This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4582 / 50°27'29"N
Longitude: -3.7 / 3°41'59"W
OS Eastings: 279426
OS Northings: 63418
OS Grid: SX794634
Mapcode National: GBR QL.KH5G
Mapcode Global: FRA 374V.8C3
Entry Name: Dartington Hall Deer Park Walls
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101041
Location: Dartington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX76SE SX86SW DARTINGTON HALL
1/128 & 2/128 Dartington Hall Deer Park
Deer park boundary walls. Circa 1325 in origin, although the walls appear
to have been reconstructed later.
The existing wall is built of limestone rubble with a rubble capping with a
string course. The wall on the east, south and wet sides of the park is
virtually complete although it has been breached for gateways in places and
a section has been rebuilt on the south side, probably in the C19. Also on
the south side a short section has fallen recently (1986 survey). Most of
the north side along the banks of the River Dart has been destroyed but the
foundations can be seen in places. These walls may replace original
palings. The existing wall encloses an area of about 66 acres, but the
medieval estimate was about 100 acres. There is an internal ditch along
the north west section where the land falls steeply away to the River Dart.
A short section in the north west side is actually in the river when it is
The park may have been a compartmented park; for the west section has
remains of a massive stone rubble internal wall and earth banks. Another
enclosure is Park Copse, an area of high ground to the north of the centre
with a steep slope on the north side which drops down to the water meadows
of the River Dart. Both enclosures are woodland but the remainder of the
park is arable farmland apart from the meadows to the north.
The park was enclosed and stocked with deer by 1325. The Martin family
held Dartington from circa 1107-1359 and the enclosure of the park may date
from Nicolas Fitz Martin's obtaining a "free warren" in his manor from
Edward I (1272-1307). In May 1326 it was estimated that the park covered
Source: A Emery Dartington Hall, pp 17 and 20
Listing NGR: SX7942663418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings