History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

39-46, Connaught Square W2

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyde Park, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5138 / 51°30'49"N

Longitude: -0.1636 / 0°9'49"W

OS Eastings: 527523

OS Northings: 181023

OS Grid: TQ275810

Mapcode National: GBR 7C.FJ

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.36VW

Entry Name: 39-46, Connaught Square W2

Listing Date: 9 January 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209316

Location: Westminster, London, W2

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2781 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CONNAUGHT SQUARE, W2
53/50; 54/82 (south side)

9.1.70 Nos. 39 to 46 (consec)

G.V. II

Terrace of houses forming south side of square. c.1828-30, probably by
George Gutch. Brown brick, channelled stucco ground floors, concealed
slate roofs. 4 storeys and basements; Nos. 45 and 46 with attic storeys.
2 and 3-window wide fronts. Entrances to left (that of No. 46 in return),
semicircular arched doorways with panelled doors in pilastered jambs with
consoles to doorheads and fanlights. No. 46 has stucco porch to Stanhope
Place. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arches, some in
stucco architraves. Stucco plat band over ground floor and at 3rd floor
level, crowning cornice and blocking course. Geometric patterned cast iron
balconies to 1st floor. Cast iron, spear head, urn finialed, area
railings. Connaught Square is the earliest part of the development of
Tyburnia, planned in 1827 by S.P. Cockerell for the Bishop of London's
Estate, but laid out to modified plan by Cockerell's successor
George Gutch.

"The History of Tyburnia"; G. Toplis; Country Life, 15, 22 Nov. 1973.


Listing NGR: TQ2752381023

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.