History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parkgrove School

A Grade II Listed Building in Edgbaston, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4558 / 52°27'20"N

Longitude: -1.9146 / 1°54'52"W

OS Eastings: 405898

OS Northings: 284208

OS Grid: SP058842

Mapcode National: GBR 5XK.4J

Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.RJPR

Entry Name: Parkgrove School

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216808

Location: Birmingham, B5

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Edgbaston

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

BRISTOL ROAD
1.
5104
(west side)
Edgbaston B5
No 249
(Parkgrove School)
SP 08 SE 12/8
II
2.
Circa 1820-30 early villa set well back from road at the end of long drive
in spacious ground adjoining Edgbaston Park. Formerly part of the Calthorpe
Estate. Two storeys stucco faced with hipped slate roof, flat eaves; corniced
stucco chimneys. Three bay east entrance front, glazing bar sash windows
in round-edged reveals. Architrave surround doorway with side lights. The
ground floor is screened by a cast iron trellis verandah with tent roof,
the centre bay pedimented. The south garden front also of 3 bays with plinth
and sill band. Similar windows to entrance front with addition of a tripartite
bow window on the ground floor. Extending this elevation to the west is a
wing with large Gothic windows (of circa 1840) of 3 lights with cast iron
glazing bars and stained glass set in tracery. Internally the house underwent
considerable modifications in the mid C19 and in the late 70s-80s. The room
with iron Gothic windows has an elaborately painted ceiling with quatrefoil
panels of circa 1850-60 and a heavy marble shafted fireplace. The dining
room has fine oak panelling with crocket and stiff leaf ornament, and a medieval
fireplace owing something to Burgess, with massive marble shafts and "reredos"
overmantel with a grafitto decorated hood. Good door furniture, in particular
ironwork of hinges. Staircase of circa 1880 Gothicised with twisted iron
balusters, decorated finialed wooden newel posts. To rear, by service wing,
a 2 storey red brick addition was made circa 1870-80. The former chapel
on ground floor. Five windows with Lincoln tracery; interior altered.

Listing NGR: SP0589884208

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.