History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aspinall Curzon, and Stable Quarters at Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in West End, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5062 / 51°30'22"N

Longitude: -0.1501 / 0°9'0"W

OS Eastings: 528481

OS Northings: 180212

OS Grid: TQ284802

Mapcode National: GBR BG.G7

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.BDZN

Entry Name: Aspinall Curzon, and Stable Quarters at Rear

Listing Date: 24 February 1958

Last Amended: 1 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221136

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209426

Location: Westminster, London, W1J

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2880 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CURZON STREET, W1
79/52
Nos 21 to 23 (consec)
24.2.58 (Aspinall Curzon, and stable
quarters at rear, formerly
Curzon House Club)

G.V. II*

Town mansion. Built c.1750-60 as 3 town houses, very convincingly
altered as one mansion c.1905, but retaining fine original interior
features. Brown brick with yellow brick dressings, slate roof.
Astylar Palladian facade. 3 storeys, basement and dormered mansard.
7 windows wide, the broader pedimented central bay slightly advanced.
This contains large semicircular arched opening framing panelled and
studded double doors with side lights and rope moulded pilasters
carrying fluted doorhead beneath patterned fanlight with blind
panelled surround springing from flanking piers. Recessed glazing bar
sashes set in blind ground floor arcading with impost string carried
on to centrepiece. On upper floors the centre is distinguished by
Venetian windows, elaborated with a central segmental pediment on 1st
floor and plain on 2nd floor. Wings have glazing bar sashes recessed
under flat gauged arches. 1st floor plat band and sill band;
bracketed cornice and parapet with coping flanking central pediment.
Wrought iron area railings with scroll lampstandards and link
extinguishers. The interior retains very fine series of reception
rooms, those to rear retaining fine original Rococo plasterwork
ceilings, statuary marble chimney pieces either Palladian or late C.18
Greek Revival, doorcases and door furniture. Entrance lobby, screen
and stair in large staircase compartment to left, all very good
neo-Georgian work with Venetian cartouche panels ordering the walls
and compartmented ceiling. The "secondary" staircase in the centre to
right would appear to be original, geometric with a flying curve and
column balusters, domed top light with swag frieze. The 1st floor
vestibule off main staircase has reset mid C.18 French boiseries. The
Edwardian refurbishment is of exceptional quality and carried out with
great sensitivity. Linked to the rear, at ground floor level, is a
former coach house given a polite 3-bay pedimented elevation towards
the house.


Listing NGR: TQ2848180212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.