History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Station and Footbridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Albrighton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6382 / 52°38'17"N

Longitude: -2.269 / 2°16'8"W

OS Eastings: 381891

OS Northings: 304529

OS Grid: SJ818045

Mapcode National: GBR 07B.P4D

Mapcode Global: WHBFJ.3YSC

Entry Name: Railway Station and Footbridge

Listing Date: 26 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255141

Location: Albrighton, Shropshire, WV7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Albrighton

Built-Up Area: Albrighton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Albrighton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Albrighton

Listing Text

SJ 80 SW ALBRIGHTON C.P. STATION ROAD

6/35 Railway Station and
Footbridge
G.V.
II

Railway Station and footbridge. C.1850 and c.1880. Station red brick
with stone dressings; slate roofs. Italianate. in the style of the
Shrewsbury and Birmingham line. One arid 2 storeys, 5 bays, irregular;
extra waiting room added to left; 2 storeyed gabled break with moulded
wooden bargeboards and finial, flanked by twin arched projections,
left hand a loggia, the right hand blocked; 2 and 3 light round arched
windows with sashes, first floor on sill band, rest with bracketed
sills. Prominent chimneys, principal one with 4 shafts and moulded
capping. Platform canopy replaced on the downline side c.188O; on
the upline side, built on a vaulted basement, 4 windows and 4 doors,
fretted iron brackets to canopy. Footbridge. Wooden and cast iron,
corrugated iron roof, gable finials. 4 flights with central gangway,
iron lattice guard, pierced bargeboards, weatherboarded sides to lower
part; palmette capped columns to landings, G.W.R. emblem and date 1883
at each end of the central gangway. The Shrewsbury and Birmingham
Railway opened in 1849, Albrighton being one of its original stations,
and was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1854.


Listing NGR: SJ8189104529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.