This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2894 / 53°17'21"N
Longitude: -2.1511 / 2°9'3"W
OS Eastings: 390026
OS Northings: 376952
OS Grid: SJ900769
Mapcode National: GBR FZFD.3J
Mapcode Global: WHBBG.XLV3
Entry Name: Lychgate and West Wall of St Peter's Churchyard
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 413835
Location: Prestbury, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Prestbury
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 97 NW PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE
6/216 Lychgate and west
wall of St Peter's
Lychgate and churchyardwall to street: dated 1715 but re-erected
1728, walls added 1765. Ashlar buff sandstone Kerridge stone-slate
roof and stone ridge. Lychgate has rectangular plan with solid side
walls with clasping end pilasters. Stone-coped gabled roof has
crocketted pinnacles. On inside are 2 plaques, to south it reads
"This Building was Erected Ano Dom 1715 Robert Brough, Richard
Sandbach, George Taylor, Nathaniel Bunnel Church Wardens"; to north
"This Portal was removed and newly Erected & the Stone Walk adjoyning
layd & the Hearse House Built Anno Dom.1728 Saml.Harryman, Thos.
Mottershead, Adam Slack, Edmund Massey Church Wardens".
Now contains a pair of C20 wooden gates.
Ashlar walls run to either side of the lych gate and have a rounded
There is a gateway near each end approached by flights of 4 sweeping
There are simple gate piers but the gates are lost.
Listing NGR: SJ9002676952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings