History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Evercreech, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1693 / 51°10'9"N

Longitude: -2.4862 / 2°29'10"W

OS Eastings: 366101

OS Northings: 141229

OS Grid: ST661412

Mapcode National: GBR MW.6MXN

Mapcode Global: VH8B1.VVHZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 2 June 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222368

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268405

Location: Evercreech, Mendip, Somerset, BA4

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Evercreech

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Evercreech

Listing Text

EVERCREECH CP
ST64SE
CHESTERBLADE
4/196 Church of St Mary
2.6.61
GV II

Anglican church. C12, C13, C15, rebuilt 1888, further work of 1925. Rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, lead
roofs, stone tiles to porch. Nave with west bellcote, south porch, chancel. Perpendicular. Three bay nave, blocked west
doorway with a 4-centre arch head square label, 3-light west window; ogee bellcote; south side with one small 2-light
window to right of large porch with possible C13 outer doorway, double-chamfered with continuous moulding. Inner
doorway late C12. Transitional one order of colonnettes, leaf caps, stilted segmental head, vertical springers, bead
moulding, animal heads. Two Norman corbels reused to east of nave; gable face with small blocked opening, possibly
lighting the former rood loft; north side with 2-light window with hood mould. Chancel with restored east window of
3-lights. Inside the porch the retains of a stoup, stone benches, C15 canopied niche, and a figure thought to be C17.
Interior plastered on flagstone and tile floors; nave with tie-beam roof restored 1925, though part C17, central truss
incised:- "W.V.R.C. 1663". Low chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders. Remains of entrance to the rood. Norman tub font.
Polygonal stone pulpit and stone reader with arcading appear C15, although much recut. The chancel with some high
quality carved Jacobean panelling. late C19 pews. Good Cl9 memorial, brass in bold moulded marble surround, similar C20
memorial. Stained glass to east window dated 1913. Bell believed to date from l632. (Ridler, Rev. Gordon, Church Guide,
undated; Pevsner N., Buildings of England. North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST6610141229

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.