This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6236 / 52°37'24"N
Longitude: -2.3296 / 2°19'46"W
OS Eastings: 377786
OS Northings: 302918
OS Grid: SJ777029
Mapcode National: GBR 07F.KTW
Mapcode Global: WH9DK.5BY1
Entry Name: Caynton Hall the Garden House the Small House
Listing Date: 26 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255158
Location: Beckbury, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Beckbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Beckbury St Milburga
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 70 SE BECKBURY C.P. CAYNTON ROAD.
5/42 Caynton Hall, The Small
House and the Garden
Country house and service wings, now divided into 3 properties. Late C18/
early C19 with later additions and alterations. Caynton Hall Stucco
rendered, low pitched hipped slate roof, wide spreading eaves supported
on wooden brackets. 2 storeys; 7 bays with projecting centre bow, glazing
bar sashes to first floor with sills; main central entrance approached
under bowed semi-circular colonnade of 2 antae and 6 Tuscan columns
with slight antasis; 2 rendered stacks behind ridge, projection to left
may be a later addition; 2 projecting 2 storeyed bows to garden front.
Contemporary detached office blocks to the left and right (now The Garden
House and The Small House respectively) connected to the main house by
blind 6 bay arcades with a moulded entablature above, which extends
across the entrance colonnade; second bay from centre on each side has a
round headed glazing bar sash window. The Garden House) altered and
extended to for an L shaped house in C20 Regency style. The Small House;
stucco rendered on brick plinth with low pitched hipped slate roof, brick
modillion eaves cornice, rendered ridge stack. 2 storeys, 3 bays, glazing
bar sashes, single hung on first floor, tripartite in recesses to ground;
entrance to left in recess, 6 panel door in re-modelled doorcase with
rectangular overlight. The house is said to have been built between 1775
and 1780 by William Yonge, who had made his fortune in the Southern States
of America. D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe.(1980) p.82.
Listing NGR: SJ7778602918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings