This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0759 / 53°4'33"N
Longitude: 0.1789 / 0°10'44"E
OS Eastings: 546062
OS Northings: 355402
OS Grid: TF460554
Mapcode National: GBR LY7.420
Mapcode Global: WHJMC.QYDB
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418913
Location: Friskney, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Friskney
Built-Up Area: Friskney
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Friskney All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 45 NE
CHURCH LANE (north side)
Church of All Saints
Parish church. Late C12, late C13, mid C14, mid C15, restored by W. Butterfield in 1879. Limestone rubble and ashlar, some red sandstone, some red brick and some render. Lead roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials.
West tower, nave with north and south aisles and south porch, and chancel. C12 four stage west tower raised in the C13 and again in the C15. Moulded plinth and string course and two stage angle buttresses. C13 west window with pointed head, Y tracery, hood mould and grotesque head label stops. Single lancets on north and south sides with hood moulds and head label stops. Pointed window above, on west side, of c.1300 with two plate lancets and oculus, and hood mould. Two C15 stages above are slightly battered. Pointed window to west with bowtell moulded surround, two ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Clock on south side. Bell openings on all four sides with pointed heads, two cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements above.
North aisle heavily restored in 1879. Regularly placed two stage buttresses. Pointed west window with four cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with small sculptured motifs and corner gargoyle to north. North side with window to the west with pointed head, three cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Late C12 pointed doorway to left with a double chamfered head, single flanking shafts, that to the left with a waterleaf capital; that to the right, C19. Four windows to left with pointed heads, three cusped ogee headed lights each, panel tracery and hood moulds. East end with a pointed window, four cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with small sculptured motifs and corner gargoyle to north.
Late C15 clerestory with five pointed windows each with bowtell moulded surround, two cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood moulds. North side of chancel with two C15 windows to the right, each with three semi-circular cusped lights, panel tracery, hood moulds and head label stops. Truncated window of a similar design to the left, re-set in blocked brick patched opening, originally leading to a north chapel, now demolished. Below, a very small opening with re-entrant curved triangular head. Fragmentary jamb of chapel's east window visible above to left. East end of the chancel defined by three stage angle buttresses each with richly moulded plinth and small niche with cusped ogee head with crockets, finial and head label stops; base with large grotesque animal. Large pointed window of 1570 with five pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded string course above with small sculptural motifs. Moulded parapet with finial and outer pinnacles.
South side of chancel with moulded plinth and string courses. Three four stage buttresses with similar niches to those on the east end. They alternate with two pointed windows and a doorway; the former each with three cusped pointed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops; the latter with a pointed head, double bowtell moulded surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. Four light pointed window beyond with pointed cusped heads, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded eaves above with projecting gargoyles, battlements and pinnacles.
South aisle heavily restored in C19. Pointed east window, four ogee headed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. South side with four windows alternating with two stage buttresses, the former each with three cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Another similar window beyond the gabled C15 porch to the left. The latter with a pointed south doorway with a moulded head with finial, polygonal jambs with moulded capitals, hood mould and finial. Pointed inner doorway with continuously moulded surround, hood mould and double plank doors. West end of the south aisle with a pointed window with four cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Late C15 clerestory above identical to that on the north side.
Tall C14 tower arch with a pointed triple chamfered head and polygonal responds. Doorway to bell chamber above, with plank door. Internal south west mid C12 doorway with semi-circular chamfered head and panelled door. First stage tower windows with hood moulds and head label stops. Mid C15 north and south arcades with pointed, double chamfered heads with continuous hood moulds, octagonal piers and polygonal responds with moulded capitals.
North arcade with small semi-circular headed archway cut through by chancel arch. C15 parclose screens at the east end of the north and south aisles, the west end of the north aisle, and a C15 rood screen set in C14 chancel arch with a pointed double chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs. All the screens with openwork traceried panels with cusped panel tracery, crocketed and finialled ogee heads. Earlier roof line of former chancel above arch to east. Rood loft staircase in south arcade to east, with ogee head, continuous moulded surround. Pointed opening above at level of rood loft.
South aisle with squint to chancel, with an aumbry to the left. South aisle of nave with C14 pointed, cusped piscina. C19 piscina behind organ. C15 sedilia somewhat re-modelled at a later date, with three semi-circular headed openings with richly moulded piers, continuous hood mould and head label stops; panel tracery decorates the backs, C14 piscinas flank sedilia with cusped, ogee head. East window flanked by single grotesque figures clasping tapers. C15 queen post roof over the nave, with cusped curved braces and collar beams on cusped arched braces. The spandrels of the tie beams at the east end painted with two censing angels and the Annunciation. C19 roof over chancel with stone corbels. Early C14 paintings on clerestory walls, very faded, of King David, the Prophets, Annunciation, Nativity, Resurrection, Ascension, and the Assumption, etc.
Ornate pulpit of 1659 of four sides with arched panels, strap work bands, fluted pilaster strips, ornate back panel and tester, the latter with brackets and pendentive finials. C15 bench ends in the chancel with poppy heads. C18 oak hudd in interior porch with semi-circular opening, gable, recessed panels inside and three sided back; said to be one of six in existence and originally used to shelter the priest at funerals. C14 defaced effigy of a knight minus his arms and shins. C18 chest. Small C17 chest with strapwork band.
Plain C17 chest with iron fillings. Two medieval gravestones in west end. C15 octagonal ironstone font, crudely worked, with cusped panels and bowl supported by small head and foliate motifs; octagonal pedestal.
Listing NGR: TF4605755400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings