This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7855 / 51°47'7"N
Longitude: -2.1932 / 2°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 386766
OS Northings: 209663
OS Grid: SO867096
Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.48V
Mapcode Global: VH94R.XDW3
Entry Name: Tibbiwell House with Attached Workshop
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Last Amended: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133516
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
8/324 Tibbiwell House (formerly
listed as Tabitha's) with
21.10.55 attached workshop.
Shown on OS map as Tabitha's. Large house at end of row. Late C17 or early
C18; modified C18 and Cl9. Limestone ashlar, stone slate roof. A compact
cross-gabled building with a lower 2-storey wing. To street is 2 storeys, attic
and part cellar, twin gabled; at ground floor, left, are two single light C19
casements, and to right two C20 plastic sashes', all under a continuous string.
First floor has three 3-light recessed chamfer-mullioned casements to stopped
hoods, and each gable has similar 2-light. Gables are coped; ashlar stack to
right with skirt and bold moulded capping. Central Doric portico with triglyph
frieze and pediment, 4 panel fielded door in arch. Offset plinth, cellar
opeining left. Return, left, has 3-light at ground floor, and 2-light to first
and second floors, all recessed chamfer-mullion casements with stopped hoods;
back has two large external stepped stacks to coped gables and a lower 2 storey
wing to hipped roof. One and 2-light casements, one pair flanking a former door
with fanlight; in internal angle is a C20 glazed door. Interior: a series or
good stone fire surrounds by members of the Bryan family of masons. Dining Room
has one with frieze rococo floral swag under segmental raised mould, mantel
shelf; room to left of entry, plain surround with egg and dart mould to
architrave, mantel; first floor right fireplace reported to be by John Bryan's
grandson, stone, decorative head, and dart mould to eared architrave; first
floor left square surround with large decorative frieze drapes, ornamental, egg
and dart mould. Staircase is tight dog-leg with mahogany handrail to stick
balusters in lower flights, but square newels and fretted splat balusters in the
top flight to attics. Many panelled doors of the C18, in moulded architraves.
Several stopped chamfer beams. Roof timbers appear to be original. Attached at
back by stone wall containing decorative arch is a workshop/studio, said to have
been John Bryan's workshop. Two storeys, rubble, slate roof. Towards house has
2 windows at each floor, 2-light to ground floor and 3-light above, simple
stone-mullioned casements. Outer face contains large C20 garage door. Interior
retains a large bressummer fire opening.
Listing NGR: SO8676609663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings