This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7163 / 50°42'58"N
Longitude: -3.5129 / 3°30'46"W
OS Eastings: 293292
OS Northings: 91836
OS Grid: SX932918
Mapcode National: GBR P1.9JS7
Mapcode Global: FRA 37J5.WTK
Entry Name: Old Matford
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420335
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Newtown and St Leonard's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9391 15/299 29.1.53.
Also called Matford or Madford House. Said to have been built by Sir John Smyth,
Mayor and MP for Exeter, d 1619. Circa 1600. Stone and cob house, 2 storeys,
with 2 gables and projecting porch at front. Back has projecting wings with gable-ends
re-built in brick. Parts of 3 large external chimneys in Heavitree stone remain.
All windows appear to be renewed. 3 to 5-light mullioned casements. Now slate
roof. Porch has 3-centred arch with Royal Arms of Elizabeth over it. Original
oak panelled door, also frame with carved plinth stops. Interior: Staircase.
Several original doorways.
Listing NGR: SX9329291836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings