History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodhouse Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ledbury, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0684 / 52°4'6"N

Longitude: -2.4537 / 2°27'13"W

OS Eastings: 368995

OS Northings: 241212

OS Grid: SO689412

Mapcode National: GBR FX.CZZ2

Mapcode Global: VH85T.F85P

Entry Name: Woodhouse Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Last Amended: 10 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224740

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152501

Location: Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ledbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ledbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bosbury

Listing Text

LEDBURY RURAL CP BROMYARD ROAD
SO 64 SE Staplow (off west side)

1/75 Woodhouse Farmhouse (formerly
listed as Wood House)
18.11.52

- II*


Farmhouse. C14, altered subsequently. Timber-frame, painted brick and some
wattle-and-daub infil; plain tiled roof and off-centre brick stack. T-plan,
cross-passage with hall at left and solar cross-wing at far left. Single
storey and attics in gabled dormers; 2 storeys to the cross-wing, the north
gable of which has a cusped bargeboard. Later C19 and C20 lean-to across
most of facade. Three C20 windows and off-centre C20 door. Projecting
stack and bay window on rear of cross-wing. Interior: Passage: the head
beam of the screen retains mortice holes which indicate the position of
three doorways. Hall: inserted stack and first floor supported on stop-
chamfered beams; at the lower endare the remains of a spere truss, the
lower parts of which are missing; central cruck truss with chamfered blades
and collar, foiled raking struts to the upper part form a central quatrefoil
flanked by trefoils; intermediate arch-braced collar-beam truss also with
foiled raking struts above the collar, one curved windbrace adjoins; solar
cross-wing of 4 bays with 2 arch-braced collar-beam trusses and a central
tie-beam truss with raking struts. The house is partly surrounded by a moat.
(RCHM, Vol II, 1932).


Listing NGR: SO6899541212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.