History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Masters House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maidstone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2701 / 51°16'12"N

Longitude: 0.5217 / 0°31'18"E

OS Eastings: 576009

OS Northings: 155346

OS Grid: TQ760553

Mapcode National: GBR PR7.6QL

Mapcode Global: VHJMF.0B5P

Entry Name: The Masters House

Listing Date: 30 July 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225072

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173442

Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME15

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Town: Maidstone

Electoral Ward/Division: High Street

Built-Up Area: Maidstone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Maidstone

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017

TQ 7655 SW
7/71A

COLLEGE ROAD
The Masters House

(Formerly listed as The College, MILL STREET)

30.7.51

GV
II*
This was originally the Master's House to the College. C14 with alterations in C18 and the insertion of modern windows since. Built of Kentish ragstone. Two storeys and attics. Tiled roof with three hipped dormers having casements with small square leaded panes. Moulded wooden eaves cornice and at the south end of the front a gable. On the ground floor there are two windows containing pairs of ogee-headed lights, two narrower single trefoil-headed lancets and one square-headed window containing two obtusely-pointed lights. Modern windows on the first floor.

The interior contains a collar-braced roof, a C16 oak staircase, a mouldedC16 ceiling and Aumbry cupboard. Some stone fireplaces with spandrels and an early C18 fireplace with ovolo moulding. Plaque to William Grocyn (1446-1519) Master of All Saints College and Renaissance scholar.

Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Masters House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ7600955346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.