This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.134 / 51°8'2"N
Longitude: 0.2579 / 0°15'28"E
OS Eastings: 558073
OS Northings: 139611
OS Grid: TQ580396
Mapcode National: GBR MPS.S1M
Mapcode Global: VHHQD.FR6K
Entry Name: 63-65, Mount Ephraim
Listing Date: 20 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 168086
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN4
District: Tunbridge Wells
Town: Tunbridge Wells
Electoral Ward/Division: Culverden
Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells St John
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
(North West Side)
Nos 63 to 65 (consec)
TQ 5839 NW 3/62 20.5.52.
A terrace of 3 large houses, not all uniform or arranged quite symmetrically.
Circa 1800. 3 storeys and semi-basement painted brick. 13 windows in all. Each
house has a large curved bay of 3 windows each. Stringcourse above lst floor.
Eaves cornice. The bays have roofs which are rounded hips rising to a point like
half a cone. Glazing bars missing. All 3 houses have porches up 4 steps, No 63
with fluted columns, the others plain. All 3 have semi-circular fanlights, those
of Nos 64 and 65 being particularly large ones. Doors have had some of their
panels cut away and glazed. These 3 houses were at one time called Wellington
Place. The 1st Duchess of Wellington, then Lady Wellesley, lived at one of them
('Douro House') during the 1st part of the Peninsular war and was serenaded there
by the inhabitants after the Battle of Talavera in 1809.
Nos 63 to 65 (consec) and pavement form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ5803739584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings