History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pump House to North of Lake at Battersea Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Queenstown, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.479 / 51°28'44"N

Longitude: -0.1548 / 0°9'17"W

OS Eastings: 528234

OS Northings: 177175

OS Grid: TQ282771

Mapcode National: GBR 9R.FZ

Mapcode Global: VHGR5.83J0

Entry Name: Pump House to North of Lake at Battersea Park

Listing Date: 14 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207211

Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11

County: London

District: Wandsworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Queenstown

Built-Up Area: Wandsworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Battersea St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

In the entry for:

BATTERSEA PARK

Pump house to north of
TQ 27 NE 2/13 lake at Battersea Park
II
The description shall be amended to read:
Pump house. 1861, by James and William Simpson; restored 1987/8. English
bond brown brick with rusticated quoin strips and stucco dressings; hipped
Welsh slate roof. One x 2 bays. Tall one-storey elevations. Front bay has
VR/1861 set in stone roundel above keyed stone semi-circular arched doorway.
Similar arches to tall windows in side walls. Cast stone brackets support
moulded stone cornice (reinstated 1988). Smaller and lower 3 x 3 bay range
to right with similar arches to openings and 2-light cast-iron casements. This
pump house was built to supply water to the 15-acre boating lake, one of the
prime features of Battersea Park which was designed in the 1850s by James
Pennethorne.

------------------------------------

BATTERSEA PARK

Pump house to north of
TQ 27 NE 2/13 lake at Battersea Park
II

Pump house. 1861, by James and William Simpson. English bond brown brick with
rusticated quoin strips and limestone ashlar dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof.
One x 2 bays. Tall one-storey elevations. Front bay has VR/1861 set in stone
roundel above keyed stone semi-circular arched doorway. Similar arches to tall
windows in side walls. Carved stone brackets support moulded stone cornice.
Smaller and lower 3 x 3 bay range to right with similar arches to openings and
2-light cast-iron casements. This pump house was built to supply water to the
15-acre boating lake, one of the prime features of Battersea Park which was designed
in the 1850s by James Pennethorne.


Listing NGR: TQ2823477175

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.