This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0272 / 52°1'38"N
Longitude: -1.2598 / 1°15'35"W
OS Eastings: 450878
OS Northings: 236794
OS Grid: SP508367
Mapcode National: GBR 8VN.SD4
Mapcode Global: VHCWH.39TR
Entry Name: Astrop House
Listing Date: 31 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423234
Location: Kings Sutton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Kings Sutton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: King's Sutton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP53NW KINGS SUTTON ASTROP
5/136 Astrop House
House. Built c.1740 for Sir John Willes. Additions 1805 by Sir John Soane
for the Rev. W.S. Willes. Reduced in size 1961. Limestone ashlar stone
stacks. 2 storeys, basement and attic. 7 bays. Parapetted roof. 3 centre
bays project under a pediment. Central stone porch with pediment, C19.
Entrance framed by Tuscan pilasters has fanlight and 6-panel double doors. Sash
window on each side has architrave with Tuscan pilasters and moulded
entablature. Sash windows in 2 outer bays to left and right have eared
architraves and alternating segmental and triangular pediments. Similar
windows on first floor. Moulded entablature. C19 parapet with filigree stone
work. Stone stacks with Grecian incised ornament. Rear: 2 storeys and attic,
7 bays. 3 central bays project under pediment. Central doorway (now window)
with Gibbs surround. Sash windows with alternating triangular and segmental
pediments. Interior not inspected, but said to have C18 staircase and dining
room with 4 pairs of columns by Soane. Soane added wings to house in 1805,
which were heightened in the C19 and demolished 1961.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.95-6; H. Colvin, Dictionary of
English Architects, 1978, p.770).
Listing NGR: SP5087836794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings