This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4086 / 52°24'30"N
Longitude: -1.5225 / 1°31'20"W
OS Eastings: 432581
OS Northings: 279057
OS Grid: SP325790
Mapcode National: GBR HBM.JM
Mapcode Global: VHBWY.KQHG
Entry Name: 119-123, Upper Spon Street
Listing Date: 7 March 1991
Last Amended: 16 May 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 218630
Location: Coventry, CV1
Electoral Ward/Division: Sherbourne
Built-Up Area: Coventry
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Coventry St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP 3279 SE UPPER SPON STREET
3/456 Nos 119 to 123
Range of houses. Late medieval (probably C15) with circa C16 to C20
alterations. Timber-framed, partly rendered and partly rebuilt in brick.
Corrugated iron and plain tile roofs with gabled ends. Brick axial stacks.
Plan: 6-bay timber-frame divided into 4 single bay cottages and a double
bay and right hand (east) end. Each cottage comprised a hall open at front
and partitioned off at back to form an inner room or workshop with a
pitched roofed chamber above jetted into the hall and with a cross-passage
between the two rooms. Later alterations include insertion of stacks and
floors in C16 and C17, occupation of right hand double bay house by public
house and wings at rear of either end in C19.
2 storeys. Long irregular 7-window south front, centre 3 window bays
rendered, outer bays brick, the left with raised eaves. Various small
window openings and doorways boarded over. C20 shop fronts to left and
right. Timber-framing exposed in left (west) gable end. Rendered at rear
with gable-ended brick wings to right and left.
Interior: Timber framing intact in central bays but mostly rebuilt in
brick in end bays. Roof has principal rafters and collars clasping
purlins, queen-struts an tie-beams and windbraces. Roof raised over bays
1 and 2 but principle rafters remain. Bay 4 (No 122) is remarkably
complete; has head beam to cross-passage partition and axial head-beam and
partition to inner room with large square-section chamber joists with
rounded ends jetted into hall and trimmer for ladder in N.E. corner of
inner room. Bays 1 to 3 (Nos 119, 120 and 121) altered but retain evidence
of identical form to bay 4; smoke-blackening from open hearth fire on
partition between bays 2 and 3 and bay 2 has evidence of pitched-roof over
chamber. Bay 4 has circa C16 inserted timber framed fireplace, built up
in brick in circa C17. Bays 5 and 6 (Nos 123 and 124) although altered in
circa C18-19 have evidence of 2 bay cross-passage plan and roof-=trusses
Historical Note: In Middle Ages owned by Coventry Priory (Office of
Treasurer) and described in Priory cartulary (1410-11) as 5 cottages and
a message. In 1581 the property of Mercers' Guild of coventry who sold it
in late C17, and by C19 it was recorded as 4 cottages and the Black Swan
Source: N.W. Alcock. Report for Coventry City Council.
Listing NGR: SP3258179057
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings