History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aller, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0554 / 51°3'19"N

Longitude: -2.8627 / 2°51'45"W

OS Eastings: 339632

OS Northings: 128805

OS Grid: ST396288

Mapcode National: GBR MC.FW04

Mapcode Global: FRA 46WB.BKD

Entry Name: Church of Saint Andrew

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263068

Location: Aller, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Aller

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Othery

Listing Text

ALLER CP
ST32NE
4/4 Church of St Andrew
17.4.59
GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Saxon origins; work of C12/13, C15, major restoration 1861-62 by John Norton. Local lias stone
cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs with clay sawtooth ridge between coped gables. Three-cell plan
of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with north and south porches and west tower, and north east vestry.
Chancel mostly C13; plinth, angled corner buttresses; 2-light Curvilinear traceried east window, much restored, under
which a 1680 memorial tableti on north wall a small curved lancet window with restored head, and projecting 1861
vestry, which has a coped gable, a circular chimney and a 2-light cusped lancet window; south wall has two small
buttresses flanking narrow pointed arched doorway, now blocked, and on either side a 3-light C15 window with ogee head
light under flat arch, in recesses with no labels. Nave has a south east buttress; upper part of walls a C19 rebuild;
south wall has a 3 light C15 window set in a 4-centre arched hollowed recess; projecting south porch, C15 origins, has
side butresses, chamfered pointed outer arch now blocked. North aisle a C19 addition; plinth, bay buttresses; 3-light
east and west windows and 2-light north windows in a C13 style: north porch has double chamfer outer arch and hollow
chamfered inner arch, the whole a C19 addition. Tower of late C19; 3 stages, with string courses, and lower stage
offsets under stone slab roofs to north and south sides; angled south west corner buttress to full height, north west
octagonal stair turret capped with spirelet: lowest stage has 3-light west window of C15 tracery in hollowed pointed
arched recess, square stopped label; on north side a 2-light cusped lancet, almost plate tracery; stage 2 plain save
for rectangular window on west side; Stage 3 has 2-light C15 traceried windows with louvre baffles, under plain arched
labels; top of tower has battlemented parapet and corner gargoyles. Inside, chancel has C19 rib and panel vault ceiling
and mostly C19 fittings, but a small C18 aumbry in south wall, and a reredos by J D Sedding; in north wall an elaborate
cusped niche in a rural style with effigy of a knight, probably Sir John of Clevedon, d 1373; C12 style chancel arch,
mostly recut/rebuilt. Nave arcade and roof C19, former in an early C13 style. The under-tower space unusual - it seems
to be originally designed as a crossing tower, with arches to north, east and south, and flying arched braces to nave
walls; C20 screen across base. In south porch, accessible only from nave, a probably C11/12 doorway almost Saxon in
proportions, and on South side chevron decorated doorway. Fittings include an elaborate pulpit dated 1610, timber on a
C19 stone base; two fonts, one a lead-lined tulip bowl on plain turned shaft, probably C12, the other octagonal, with
keyed panels, deep undercoving and twist base, dated 1660. Memorials include a Keinton stone plaque in chancel, with
ornamental stone surround of 1639, traces of colour remain but memorial damaged; several C17 floor slabs; another
defaced effigy in north aisle, possibly Sir John of filler, died c1272. C17 Altar table stolen since last listing. (VCH,
vol III, 1974; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST3963228805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.