History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lion House

A Grade II Listed Building in Aller, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0603 / 51°3'37"N

Longitude: -2.8583 / 2°51'29"W

OS Eastings: 339944

OS Northings: 129346

OS Grid: ST399293

Mapcode National: GBR MC.FHPD

Mapcode Global: FRA 46X9.SB4

Entry Name: Lion House

Listing Date: 3 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263072

Location: Aller, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Aller

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Othery

Listing Text

ALLER CP BEER ROAD (South West side)
ST32NE
4/8 Lion House
3.1.84
GV II

Former Rectory, now divided into 2 houses of which this is the north half. Circa 1500, two C19 reshapings. Local lias
stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings, part rendered; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, stone chimney
stacks. 'L' plan: 2 storeys with attic. East elevation 3 bays, of which bay 3 is gabled projection; C20 flat roofed
infill to ground floor bays 1 and 2: upper bay 1 has long transomed 3-light window - to stairs of adjoining premises -
a small 2-light trefoil cusped window bay 2; bay 3 has lower C17 mullioned window without label, and above a 10-pane
oriel window, possibly Regency. On north west corner a stair turret with garderobes, and on north elevation a 4-light
(originally 6-light) mullioned and transomed window with C15 tracery, under relieving arch, and above a 2- light
mullioned and transomed window with ogee heads under 4-centre arch, in hollowed recess. Interior not seen, but VCH
speaks of parlour and principal chamber at north end, a stone arch into north-east projection, and an upper room with
timber framed walls. Representing half of the Rectory, first mentioned in 1554 as "in decay": attached on south side to
the Old Rectory (q.v). (VCH, vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST3994429346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.