History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Columba (Presbyterian)

A Grade II Listed Building in Brompton & Hans Town, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4966 / 51°29'47"N

Longitude: -0.1634 / 0°9'48"W

OS Eastings: 527587

OS Northings: 179116

OS Grid: TQ275791

Mapcode National: GBR 7K.HP

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.3NZ2

Entry Name: Church of St Columba (Presbyterian)

Listing Date: 29 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425033

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW1X

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

London Borough Ward: Brompton & Hans Town

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Sloane Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

LONDON BOROUGH OF
KENSINGTON & Chelsea

TW 2779SE Pont Street
41/200 CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA
(Presbyterian)

GV II

Presbyterian church. 1950-1955 by Sir Edward Maufe. Portland stone with green slate
roof. Ground floor halls with church above, church offices to east and west and a SW
tower. Front bay triple arched entrance with a tall simple lancet cover, flanked
to left by tower with bell-cambered pyramidal roof and to right by a house facade of
two bays and three storeys with side dormers has broad round-arched ground-floor windows
with five lancets over. Interior with columned vestibules and first floors; church
interior has wide nave of six bays on ground with passage-aisles; arcades of round
arches on square piers, eastern transpetal bays (with round columns) and Romanesque
capitals, shallow sanctuary with round east window high-up. Four-sided canted roof,
stone dado, remainder of walls and roof all whitened. Original oak pews and fittings.


Listing NGR: TQ2758779116

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.