History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westcott, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2236 / 51°13'25"N

Longitude: -0.3696 / 0°22'10"W

OS Eastings: 513950

OS Northings: 148420

OS Grid: TQ139484

Mapcode National: GBR HGN.9C3

Mapcode Global: VHFVR.JHZT

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 11 June 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227892

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289900

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, RH4

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Westcott

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Westcott

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Westcott

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Dorking

Listing Text

TQ 14 NW GUILDFORD ROAD
WESTCOTT
850/6/225
Church of the Holy Trinity
11.06.73
II*

Church. 1851-2 by Sir George Gilbert Scott; vestry added late-C19/early C20. Coursed knapped flint with ashlar quoins and dressings. Plain tile roofs, mostly replaced with concrete tiles; decorative ridge tiles to vestry. 5-bay nave with north porch, west spire, and separately-roofed 3-bay south aisle with side chapel; lower 2-bay chancel with north transept; separately-roofed 2-bay vestry parallel with side chapel. In C14 Gothic style having chamfered ashlar plinth; ashlar butresses with offsets; pointed-arched doors and windows of 1,2 or 3 lights with cusped tracery; hoodmoulds with carved stops; raised verges, with gableted- and cross-finials. Nave: north side: porch on right has entrance of 2 chamfered orders, carved gableted kneelers and internal wooden double-door with decorative iron hinges. Spire, rising from west end, has clock face dated 1887 on north side, at base, and timber bell stage with open cusped panels; broached swept spire with weather-cock. Chancel: transept has 3-light plate-tracery window, and octagonal gable chimney; east window of 3 lights with cinquefoil over. Vestry has tall lateral chimney with coupled octagonal shafts. Interior: aisle arcade of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns. Chancel arch with ball-flowers carried on decorated corbels. Waggon roof to nave and aisle, the former having corbelled cusped braces. Cusped tracery to spire frame. Pointed-arched vault to chancel. Red and black floor tiles. Tessellated reredos set in polished marble with flanking arcades. Carved octagonal ashlar font. Ashlar relief carving of St George commemorates 2nd Lieut Boyd Burnet Geake d1916. Marble 1st World War memorial in rococo style. East window by James Powell & Son (whitefriars) Ltd.


Listing NGR: TQ1395048420


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.