History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Keach's Meeting House and Graveyard Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Winslow, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9405 / 51°56'25"N

Longitude: -0.882 / 0°52'55"W

OS Eastings: 476952

OS Northings: 227483

OS Grid: SP769274

Mapcode National: GBR BZY.CTT

Mapcode Global: VHDTJ.NHL7

Entry Name: Keach's Meeting House and Graveyard Walls

Listing Date: 19 August 1959

Last Amended: 29 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402438

Location: Winslow, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Winslow

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Winslow

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Winslow

Listing Text

SP 7627 - 7727 WINSLOW BELL WALK

6/145 Keach's Meeting House and
graveyard walls.(formerly listed as
Particular Baptist Chapel)

19.8.59

- II*

Baptist chapel. C17, said to be 1625 but probably contemporary
with porch dated 1695, altered and re-fitted early C19. Brick,
irregularly bonded. Left gable has brick plinth and band course
at eaves level. Old tile roof, 2 bays. N. front has small leaded
windows with moulded jambs and wooden shutters. Central gabled porch
is timber framed with brick infill and original twisted wooden
balusters to open side sections, wooden entablature to front is
much restored. E. gable has C20 2-light window in blocked
doorway and single barred window above. S. front has C20 leaded
casements with segmental heads. 2 single lights high in W. wall
inserted 1824. Humble interior has arched braces to central
principal rafters, and wind braces to roof. Fittings: C17
communion table with turned baluster legs; c.1800 box pews and
central pulpit at W. end; plain benches with single back rails,
probably of same date; narrow gallery of 1827 along E. wall with
open front and narrow staircase to N.; wooden hat pegs. Early C18
tomb slabs in floor. Small graveyard to front has brick wall with
segmental arch to gateway on E. side. Chapel associated with
Benjamin Keach, one of the first people to introduce regular
hymn singing in services, and pastor at Winslow 1658-68.
RCHM II p 341 MON 2
Guide Book.


Listing NGR: SP7695227483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.