History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sileby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.7169 / 52°43'0"N

Longitude: -1.1081 / 1°6'29"W

OS Eastings: 460344

OS Northings: 313621

OS Grid: SK603136

Mapcode National: GBR 9MV.NN5

Mapcode Global: WHDHY.YZH1

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 2 July 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402535

Location: Cossington, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE7

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Cossington

Built-Up Area: Sileby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Cossington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 61 SW MAIN STREET (West Side)
2.7.51 No.54 (The Old Rectory)


House. Late C15, C16, C18 and early C19. Granite rubble stone with quoins
and stone dressings and timber framing with roughcast nogging. Swithland slate
twin-span and other roofs (Welsh slate to rear of 2nd span) with brick end
and side stacks. 2 storeys. 5 ranges: centre right of late C15/early C16,
left of early C19, 2nd span to rear of late C18, cross wing on right of late
C16 of very elaborate timber framing, and wing behind this with roughcast
walls, perhaps late medieval in origin. Range centre right has central part-
projecting stack with immediately to right a 2 storey canted bay with stone
mullions and transoms: 2:4:2-lights. Leaded lights. Hood mould to ground floor.
1st floor lights have cusped heads, Y tracery and crenellated transom. Parapet
over with a frieze of shields in quatrefoils and battlements above. Small
dormer door behind. To left 2 2-light leaded casements, one with top lights,
over door and overlight within rounded arch, and similar 2-light with top
lights. Left range has, on both floors, a 4-light stone mullion window with
leaded sashes and hood mould. On left end a similar 2-light window and 2-light
casement over. Rear range has 2 storeys of 5 2-light mullion and transom windows,
though 6/6 sashes replace those in the 2 ground floor windows to left. Central
doorcase with 6-panelled door (the 4 upper panels glazed), fanlight and canopy
on brackets. Stone dressings and eaves cornice. The cross wing on right of
front also of 2 storeys,the small square panels ornamented with quatrefoils,
curved braces and the initials I.A.E. Inside are moulded ceiling beams and
late C18 staircase. Formerly the Rectory. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6034413621

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.