History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, Loughborough Road

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7307 / 52°43'50"N

Longitude: -1.1407 / 1°8'26"W

OS Eastings: 458124

OS Northings: 315131

OS Grid: SK581151

Mapcode National: GBR 8L9.SHK

Mapcode Global: WHDHY.GM1F

Entry Name: 2, Loughborough Road

Listing Date: 12 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228109

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402647

Location: Mountsorrel, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Mountsorrel

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Mountsorrel St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Quorndon

Listing Text

MOUNTSORREL

SK 51 NE
3/23
1.6.66

LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD (East Side)

No. 2

GV
II*

House. Dated 1788, mostly with late C19 rear. Red brick with elaborate stone
dressings, bands, cornice and coped gables, and Welsh slate roof, hipped on
side wings, with brick rear stacks. In Palladian style as if with 2 intersecting
temple fronts, the inner and higher projecting slightly forward. 2 and 3 storeys
of 5 6/6 sash windows, the centre first floor with 2 side lights, the glazing
bars forming octagons. On 2nd floor 2 6-pane swing windows. On ground floor
a central doorcase with Adam style decoration, prominent bracketed hood, 6-panelled
door and fanlight with decorated glazing bars. The decoration on the front
is also Adam inspired. A double band has balusters between under the central
windows. These have blank arches over with impost bands, the larger central
arch, which runs through both ground and first floors, enriched with swags.
Cornice band above the side windows. Central 3 storey section has modillion
corniced pediment with urn and wheat-ear garlands decoration in tympanum. 5
urns on coping. Formerly the Vicarage. Tablet on rear gable inscribed 'R.T.A.
1788' "An exceptionally elegant late C18 brick house". Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK5812415131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.