This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9248 / 52°55'29"N
Longitude: -1.4773 / 1°28'38"W
OS Eastings: 435234
OS Northings: 336506
OS Grid: SK352365
Mapcode National: GBR PKD.8W
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.8RR4
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1228277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402847
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Unitary Authority Ward: Arboretum
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: All Saints Derby
Church of England Diocese: Derby
893/1/153 IRON GATE
893/2/153 CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Cathedral Church of
SK 3536 SW 1/153
SK 3536 NW 2/153 20.6.52.
Formerly the Collegiate Church but raised to Cathedral status when diocese of Derby created 1927. Fine, tall, late Perpendicular stone west tower remains from the original early C16 church but the body of the present building of circa 1725 is a good classical design by James Gibbs. 5 semi-circular headed windows at each side with characteristic Gibbs rustication and with coupled pilasters between balustraded parapet. Fine spacious interior comprising broad nave aisles, chancel chapels, gallery and organ loft at west end; east end extended 1972 by addition of retro-choir designed by Sebastian Comper which contain a classical style baldachino. Splendid wrought iron screens, partly renewed and restored, across nave and aisles, the work of William Bakewell. Modern stained glass in chancel chapel windows by Ceri Richards. Many good monumnts: in south chancel chapel (also known as the Cavendish Chapel) to Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury ('Bess of Hardwick') (1607); to Caroline Countess of Bessborough (1760) by Rysbrack and of her husband, the 2nd Earl (1793) by Nollekens. In the north aisle: Thomas Chambers (1726) and wife (1735) by Roubiliac; Richard Bateman (1822) by Chantrey; Mary Elizabeth Chichester (1830) by Sir Richard Westmacott.
Nos 9 to 11 (consec), Nos 15 to 17 (consec) and the Cathedral Church of All Saints form a group with No 2 Amen Alley, No 1 Queen Street together with Nos 1 and 3 College Place and two posts at west end of College Place.
Listing NGR: SK3523436506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings