This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2615 / 51°15'41"N
Longitude: -0.321 / 0°19'15"W
OS Eastings: 517250
OS Northings: 152707
OS Grid: TQ172527
Mapcode National: GBR HG4.X9F
Mapcode Global: VHGS1.DK59
Entry Name: Juniper Hall
Listing Date: 28 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1228450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289953
Location: Mickleham, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Mickleham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Mickleham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 15 SE 8/103
LONDON ROAD, MICKLEHAM
Listed for historical reasons and on account of the interior of one room. Now the property of the National Trust and occupied by the Field Studies Residential Centre. The original portion of the building was on the site of the centre of the east wing, facing south. This was the Royal Oak Inn. The north-west wing was added by Sir Cecil Bisshopp about 1762. The inn was demolished and this portion of the house rebuilt and extended further east about 1870. At the some time the north west wing was mutilated. But this is the only portion which has any C18 work in it. 3 storeys. 7 windows. Red brick. The brick-work probably dated from 1870 when 2 large and 2 small gables were substituted for the top storey of the C18 building which had a cornice and parapet. Large bay of 4 windows at the north end of the front (The Sculptured Drawing Room). 3 round-headed doorway in the centre with semi-circular fanlight. This became the front door when the wing was built in 1762 but the front door was moved to the south front in the alterations of 1870. The only portion of the interior of interest remaining from the 1762 house is the ground floor room a the north-west corner of the North-West wing. This is called the Sculptures Drawing Room. The walls have plaster figures or plaques set in elaborate foilated borders, with ceiling and chimney piece to match. The room was possibly designed by Lady Templeton who is said to have designed a similar room at Norbury Park nearby. During the French Revolution Juniper Hall became the principle meeting place of some of the most distinguished emigres who had left France on account of the political developments. Amongst others, Talleyrand, Narbonne, Madame de Stael, General D'Arblay, Lally Tollendal, Madame de Broglie and the Princess d'Henin all stayed there. It is on account of their associations with the house and the survival of the Sculptured Drawings Room that the house is listed. It was also occupied by Thomas Broadwood of Broadwood's pianos from 1814 onwards. The 9 fine cedars in the garden to the west of the house were probably planted by Sir Cecil Bisshopp about 1762.
Listing NGR: TQ1725052707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings