History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Cottage glebe House south Wing Glebe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Corfe Castle, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6354 / 50°38'7"N

Longitude: -2.0688 / 2°4'7"W

OS Eastings: 395231

OS Northings: 81744

OS Grid: SY952817

Mapcode National: GBR 33M.5RG

Mapcode Global: FRA 67KD.7W0

Entry Name: Garden Cottage glebe House south Wing Glebe House

Listing Date: 20 November 1959

Last Amended: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228738

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109163

Location: Corfe Castle, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Corfe Castle

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Corfe Castle St Edward the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Corfe Castle

Listing Text

CORFE CASTLE BUCKNOWLE
SY 98 SE
3/11 Glebe House, South Wing Glebe
House and Garden Cottage, Glebe
20.11.59 House (formerly listed as The
Old Rectory)
- II
Former rectory, now private house divided into 3 units. Late C17 origin, altered
in C18, largely remodelled 1800-1820. Irregular courtyard plan. Glebe House,
the west range, has plastered walls and hipped slate roof with central brick stack.
2 storeys and attic. C20 reproduction panelled door in reproduction classical
surround with pediment and pilasters. Ground floor has 2 sashes with glazing bars.
3 similar windows on first floor. Attic has one hipped dormer with similar sashes.
On east front a C19 added canted bay window. Internally, main ground floor room
has ornamental plaster cornice and C18 fireplace surround. Stair renewed c1960
in original form, with cut string and wreathed handrail. South Wing, the south
courtyard range, consists of former outbuildings with rubble stone walls and tiled
roof. Attached at left end, the former coach house, with weatherboarded walls and
hipped tiled roof. Attached at rear, and forming part of the west courtyard range,
a former stable, now used as garage, with rubble stone walls and hipped tiled roof.
Garden Cottage consists of the north courtyard range and a wing north of this.
Rubble stone walls and hipped tiled roof with stone eaves courses. North (main)
range of one storey and attic. on ground floor, a C19 stone mullioned window,
altered to form doorway. Also a C20 glazed porch and door, and one ledged door.
Attic has 2 hipped dormers with sashes with glazing bars. (RCHM, Monument 14,
Dorset. Vol. II).


Listing NGR: SY9523181744

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.