History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilnhurst Farmhouse and Attached Kilnhurst House

A Grade II Listed Building in Todmorden, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.712 / 53°42'43"N

Longitude: -2.0834 / 2°5'0"W

OS Eastings: 394590

OS Northings: 423956

OS Grid: SD945239

Mapcode National: GBR FTWJ.R2

Mapcode Global: WHB8C.ZY1P

Entry Name: Kilnhurst Farmhouse and Attached Kilnhurst House

Listing Date: 22 November 1966

Last Amended: 22 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403744

Location: Todmorden, Calderdale, OL14

County: Calderdale

Civil Parish: Todmorden

Built-Up Area: Todmorden

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Todmorden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Todmorden

Listing Text

SD 92SW TODMORDEN (former M.B.) KILNHURST ROAD
SD 946239

5/164 Kilnhurst Farmhouse and
attached Kilnhurst House
22.11.66 (formerly listed as
"Kilnhurst", Kilnhurst Road)

G.V. II

2 attached houses. The farmhouse, mid C17 has late C19 single storey addition.
Kilnhurst House is later C17 or early C18 with additions of 1728 and 1766.
Large dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. The south front is formed of
2 separate ranges. Kilnhurst House to the left and the farmhouse which breaks
forward to the right. Reads: all are double chamfered mullioned windows to
ground floor, chamfered mullioned to 1st floor. 3-room plan. 5-light window
(lacking 3 mullions, opened to doorway), with 4-light window over. 3-light
window to housebody with same over. 4-light (possibly fire-window) to housebody
with 3-light over. 5-light parlour window with 3-light over. Coped gable to
left hand end with kneelers and stack. One other large square stack of mid C18,
at junction of housebody and parlour. The farmhouse breaks forward. In the
return wall is roofline of earlier single-aisled timber-framed hall with
stylobat attached in line with front wall. Carried over the recess for slates
are 3 corbels with single light set between. The farmhouse range reads coped
gables with kneelers and stacks. 2 cells. All are double chamfered mullioned
and transomed windows with continuous stepped hoodmould over ground floor
windows. 10-light window with 8-light window over. 10-light (housebody) window
with 8-light window over. 8-light former fire-window. C19 extension breaks
forward. Moulded coping and stone gutter. Large doorway with monolithic jambs
and chamfered surround. 2 large windows with chamfered surround. Right hand
return wall has extruded stack with coupled diamond set flues. Attached to left
hand return wall (of House) is 2-storey single cell extension with semi-circular
arched taking-in door with raised impost and keystone inscribed K approached
T G
1766
up flight of broad steps. The north gable has double chamfered mullioned window
of 5 lights (the central light sashed) with same over. Rear of house has gabled
porch with plinth, copings and kneelers; apex has base for finial. Doorway has
chamfered surround the lintel inscribed W S set within a tressure. Open
1728
porch with stone seats. Similar door entry to forms a baffle entry against
fleck. Over porch 3-light window. To left 4-light window with 3-light over. To
right cross-window (lacking mullions). Rear of farmhouse has 2-light flat faced
mullioned windows, C20.
Interior of house has oak panelled division wall between western room and also
to firescreen of board-and-muntin type with readed edges. Close strung stair
with paired-turned-balusters and barrel-turned newel. Division wall between
western rooms and housebody of large single stones which jetty out to head to
carry spine beams and double thickness wall at first floor. This wall has 2
Tudor arched doorways with sunken spandrels and roll moulding. Convex moulded
head to wall. Fireplace has segmental arch carried on corbelled jambs with cyma
moulded surround. Carved oak salt cupboard. Queen strut truss with diagonally
set ridge. Farmhouse has identical division wall and truss. It is possible
that tile trusses are re-used and are C16.


Listing NGR: SD9459023956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.