History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

General Medical Council

A Grade II Listed Building in Marylebone High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5208 / 51°31'15"N

Longitude: -0.1435 / 0°8'36"W

OS Eastings: 528898

OS Northings: 181846

OS Grid: TQ288818

Mapcode National: GBR C9.Y0

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.G1GG

Entry Name: General Medical Council

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210017

Location: Westminster, London, W1W

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Marylebone

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2881 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER HALLAM STREET, Wl
45/41 (East side)
10.9.54 Nos. 44 and 50 (General
Medical Council)
II
Institution. 1913-15 with slightly later extension in same style, by
Eustace Frere. Portland stone faced; slate roof. Sophisticated elevation
combining Georgian terrace house features with Neo-Grec details subtly
deployed to emphasise institutional character. 4 storeys with 1st and 2nd
floor partly thrown into one for principal interior spaces; dormered
mansard. Right hand part has 5-window front with 3 central windows in
full height shallow segmental bow. Square headed doorway to left with
antae pilaster jambs, their anthemion neck pattern carried in as frieze
over doorhead, and lintel carved with Grecian bas-relief. Triplets of
narrow recessed sashes to ground floor with anthemion blocks capping
dividers and the left hand triplet with windows heads filled with
arabesque relief panels. 2 storey-high windows to 1st and 2nd floors of
bow in tripartite groups, the dividers finished off with miniature
caryatids, dart moulding lining out edge of reveals. 3 triplets of narrow
sashes to 3rd floor. Flanking bays have plain sashes but oculi to 2nd
floor. Deep sill band to 1st floor with Greek fret on bow; apron below
3rd floor has central shallow relief of Aesculapius's symbol and lion head
spouts flanking; cyma cornice below parapet. Left hand part of front
(extension) has similar details with 2 through storey tripartite windows
matching those of bow and slightly varied pairs of narrow sash windows
above plainer version of No. 44 doorway. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: TQ2889881846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.