History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashburnham Place (Christian Conference and Prayer Centre)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashburnham, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9059 / 50°54'21"N

Longitude: 0.4028 / 0°24'10"E

OS Eastings: 569035

OS Northings: 114579

OS Grid: TQ690145

Mapcode National: GBR NV6.0PJ

Mapcode Global: FRA C6QQ.4RJ

Entry Name: Ashburnham Place (Christian Conference and Prayer Centre)

Listing Date: 13 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 292070

Location: Ashburnham, Rother, East Sussex, TN33

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Ashburnham

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ashburnham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Ashburnham

Listing Text

TQ 61 SE ASHBURNHAM KITCHENHAN ROAD

28/2 Ashburnham Place.
(Christian Conference and
Prayer Centre).

II

The facade dates from 1845 circa. Red brick and diaper pattern of grey headers.
Cornice above each floor and parapet. Glazing bars intact. The central portion
is now of two storeys and. five windows. Each window bay is flanked by pilasters.
Ground floor windows are set in round-headed arcading. Large central square
porch with round-headed archway. The wings are of one storey. The first two
window-bays on each side of the centre are recessed with three window-bays each
projecting beyond. Modern conference wings to north. The Ashburnham family
occupied a house on this site from before the Conquest until the death of Lady
Catherine Ashburnham in 1953. It was a large mansion of several periods, of
which the main portion was C18, refaced in 1845 circa. Most of this was demolished
about- 1955. What remains is the south front, which retains its original form
of a central block and flanking wings of lower elevation but both centre and
wings have been reduced in height.


Listing NGR: TQ6903514579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.