History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Penton Grafton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2181 / 51°13'5"N

Longitude: -1.5466 / 1°32'47"W

OS Eastings: 431762

OS Northings: 146642

OS Grid: SU317466

Mapcode National: GBR 614.KT4

Mapcode Global: VHC2R.4NQ2

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 30 April 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140569

Location: Penton Grafton, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Penton Grafton

Built-Up Area: Weyhill

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Weyhill St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Penton Mewsey

Listing Text

SU 34 NW PENTON GRAFTON WEYHILL

4/18 Church of St Michael
and All Angels
20.12.60 (formerly listed as
St Michael)
II*


Parish church. An ancient site close to the Roman road, and a possible
Christian successor to a heathen temple; a Saxon church stood here but the
earliest part is the Norman chancel arch; C13 chancel (restored), North
transept of 1827, nave restoration and 3-bay south aisle of 1863, C19 porch
and vestry, and bell turret of 1907. Steep tile roof over most of the
building, but a low-pitched slate roof above nave and north transept, shingled
spire to timber-framed bell turret, with gables to the lower tile-hung framing.
Walls of flint with stone dressings, rendered to the north transept, the nave and
the south aisle (or nearly equal width and height) having decorative brick
treatment at verges, relieving arches, and as horizontal bands. Windows are
small or tall lancets in nave and aisle, with one coupled light in the nave and
triple lancets at the east end. Inside, the appearance and fittings are
Victorian, with several small wall monuments of the early C19: the arcade rests
on thin cylindrical columns, merging to wide square cushion caps. The nave roof
(1506) has moulded tie-beams with king-posts and Queen Struts. Plain stone font;
and 3 benefaction boards displayed above the south door in the porch. The
architectural features repeat those at Haverden and Smannell, both designed by
William White (but Pevsner says Hakewill).


Listing NGR: SU3195047926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.