This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9426 / 52°56'33"N
Longitude: -1.4771 / 1°28'37"W
OS Eastings: 435238
OS Northings: 338484
OS Grid: SK352384
Mapcode National: GBR PK6.9J
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.89WG
Entry Name: Nos 1 to 8 (Consecutive) with Row of Privies Opposite
Listing Date: 24 February 1977
Last Amended: 30 May 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1229900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404730
Location: Derby, DE22
County: City of Derby
Electoral Ward/Division: Darley
Built-Up Area: Derby
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Darley Abbey St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
893/9/318 WEST ROW
24-FEB-77 DARLEY ABBEY
Nos 1 to 8 (consecutive) with row of p
(Formerly listed as:
1792. Together with the two sides of Flat Square (qv) to the east these 3 storey houses form three sides of an open square with a continuous ridge line but West Row faces outwards to the west. Built by the Evans family and completed by 1792 these brick built,rendered and painted houses have slate roofs hipped at the returns with Flat Square, pegged door frames and brick header dentil course at eaves.
Across West Row is a single storey range of six contemporary brick built privies retaining much of their original external detail and joinery.
The C18 and C19 houses and schoolrooms in Darley Abbey built or acquired by various generations of the Evans family for their workers are of interest as a group to be compared with the Arkwright settlement at Cromford and the Strutt settlements at Belper and Milford.
Listing NGR: SK3525238482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.