History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Arboretum, City of Derby

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9082 / 52°54'29"N

Longitude: -1.4694 / 1°28'9"W

OS Eastings: 435781

OS Northings: 334658

OS Grid: SK357346

Mapcode National: GBR PLL.ZV

Mapcode Global: WHDH0.D5JC

Entry Name: Parish Church of St James

Listing Date: 19 September 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405429

Location: Derby, DE23

County: City of Derby

Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum

Built-Up Area: Derby

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Derby, Walbrook Epiphany St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Derby

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

MALCOLM STREET
SK 33 SE
12/288 Parish Church of
St James
II

Anglican parish church. 1866 by Joseph Peacock of London; N aisle
added 1875 to original design. Coursed rock-faced rubble; tiled
roofs. Nave and aisles (of four bays) with baptistry and double
porches extending W; apsidally- ended chancel and sanctuary with
flanking offices and porches. Aisles and nave separately roofed;
aisles with single, double and triple lancets and buttresses with
deep set-offs. 3-light windows to W, and large roundel to E.
Lean-to W porches with spherical clerestory window over;
distinctive W window of two lancets divided by single buttress
with emphatic weathering, and roundel containing complex tracery
over. Deep chancel/sanctuary with continuous set of lancets set
high; offices and porches to N and S, continuous lancets to E and
an over-sized SE and SW corner pinnacles, the former containing
date of foundation along with the names of the architect and
contractor (W Huddleston). Crested ridge tiles, wrought-iron
finial crosses, and stone coping to all gables. Interior: arcades
with steeply profiled double-chamfered arches on circular-section
piers and moulded capitals; spandrels dramatically broken by cut-
through mouchettes. Canted nave roof with exposed common rafters
and principals; crown post roofs to aisles. E division of aisles
marked by tie with traceried spandrels and crown posts. E end of
church well raised. Side arches to chancel have trumeau with
central roundel. Chancel roof keeled and boarded. Sanctuary
lancets have inner order of shafts and walls have incises
patterning. Reredos, with open central gabled canopy. Tiled
floors. Fittings etc: font, stone bowl on clustered marble shafts
and polygonal wooden canopy all in a vigorous High Victorian
manner. Chancel fittings and pulpit later C19, with open tracery
frontals. Glass includes two windows by Lavers, Barraud and
Westlake dated 1892, 1897. Sanctuary lancets also by them contain
small scenes from the Life of Mary and Christ. Peacock was a
significant High, Victorian architect who reacted against the
academic medievalism of the 1850s and whose work is marked by
wilful detailing and massing; St James, Derby is one of his best
works outside London.


Listing NGR: SK3578134658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.