History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lonsdale Hall Part of Derby College of Higher Education

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbey, City of Derby

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.917 / 52°55'1"N

Longitude: -1.4988 / 1°29'55"W

OS Eastings: 433797

OS Northings: 335622

OS Grid: SK337356

Mapcode National: GBR PDH.KP

Mapcode Global: WHCFN.YYG5

Entry Name: Lonsdale Hall Part of Derby College of Higher Education

Listing Date: 20 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405430

Location: Derby, DE22

County: City of Derby

Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey

Built-Up Area: Derby

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Derby St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Derby

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:
LONSDALE PLACE
SK 33 NW
893-/7/10000 Lonsdale Hall:
part of Derby College
of Higher Education
II

House, now part of student housing complex, 1856, enlarged 1890.
Probably designed by T.C.Hine (of Nottingham) for Mr William
Bemrose, founder of Bemrose Ltd (Printers) Red brick, with
millstone grit sandstone ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs,
and 5 brick stacks. Chamfered plinth, cill and lintel bands,
bracketed eaves and ashlar coped gables with kneelers. 2 storey.
East, entrance front has gabled wing to left with a 2 storey
square bay window with plain sashes. To the right a set back 3
storey entrance tower, topped by a pyramidal roof, the doorway
has an ashlar surround with Gothic shafts and a segmental head
with hood mould, 6 panel door and overlight, above a round headed
window in ashlar surround with keystone and hood, above again a
small quatrofoil window. South, garden front has off-centre 2
storey canted bay window, with to the right a single window to
each floor, to the left a doorway with ashlar surround, and a
narrow window beyond, above a single window and to the left a
smaller window. Beyond projecting 2 storey ballroom wing with a
gabled south front, with 3 windows on the ground floor and 2
above, plus a small plaque in the gable inscribed '1890'.
INTERIOR: Retains most of its original features, including doors
and cornices. Elaborate wooden hall screen. 2 carved wooden
fireplaces by Joseph B. Robinson. Ballroom has elaborate
plasterwork, large inglenook with wooden columned fire surround
and Adam style tiles. Single flight staircase with 2 turned
wooden balusters per tread. Remaining fireplaces have plain
marble surrounds and well preserved grates.


Listing NGR: SK3379735622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.