This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7309 / 52°43'51"N
Longitude: -1.1122 / 1°6'43"W
OS Eastings: 460051
OS Northings: 315174
OS Grid: SK600151
Mapcode National: GBR 9MN.TXD
Mapcode Global: WHDHY.WML9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1230687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 405692
Location: Sileby, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Sileby
Built-Up Area: Sileby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Sileby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 61 NW HIGH STREET (West Side)
1.6.66 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13-C15, restored C19. Ashlar and granite rubble stone with parapetted
roofs. Plinth, stone dressings and stepped buttresses mostly with gargoyles.
Tracery mostly restored. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, chancel chapels and
S porch. Tower of 3 stages, ashlar to W, of C14/C15 with clasping buttresses
and SW stair. Many moulded W doorway with fleurons in arch and renewed blank
quatrefoils in spandrels over, 3-light W window with Perp tracery, 2-light
flat-topped window over, 4 paired 2-light bell openings with battlemented transoms,
quatrefoiled lozenge frieze, battlements, gargoyles and shafted and crocketted
pinnacles. Clock face to E (in centre of bell opening) and to N. Inside are
arches to aisles and tall nave arch, all double chamfered on semi-circular responds.
Late C13 N arcade of 3 bays (E wider) with many moulded arches on quatrefoil
piers. Hood mould. Nail head and dog tooth decoration. c1300 3 bay S arcade
with double chamfered arches on circular piers. Perp clerestory with 4 3-light
windows either side. Restored 4 bay low-pitch crancked tie-beam roof, wall posts
and curved braces from stone carved head corbels with wooden figures over.
Carved bosses. N aisle has N doorway, W window with Intersected tracery, 3
N windows with Curvilinear and Reticulated tracery and double chamfered arch
on octagonal responds into N chancel chapel, now organ chamber. Here N window
with Perp tracery and NE window with Curvilinear tracery. Double chamfered
chancel arch with hood mould and grotesque animal stops. Similar arches to
chancel chapels, curving and semicircular responds. On N wall of chancel tomb
recess with nail head decoration, small N door, archway to former rood, N window
and 2 S windows with Curvilinear tracery. Similar E window with C19 mosaic
reredos below. Tiled floor, probably Minton. C19 3 bay low pitch roof. Outside,
the chancel has crocketted pinnacles and finial on E end gable. S chancel chapel
has SE window with Curvilinear tracery and 2 S windows with Reticulated tracery
and piscina with ogee arch. In S aisle 4 windows with Curvilinear tracery.
Many-moulded S doorway arch with double shafts each side. 2 storey S porch
with battlemented parapet and many-moulded arch to doorway with circular responds.
Window over and to either side of porch. C12/C13 font, wall monument in coloured
marble to Katherine Aynesworth, 1807, by Shenton, Hull and Pollard of Leicester,
wall monument of 1886 to former Vicar, Georgian Royal Arms, painted on canvas,
over chancel arch, and brass lectern, a memorial of 1929, and resited lead
inscription tablet of 1727. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6005115174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings