History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hinde Street Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Marylebone High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5172 / 51°31'1"N

Longitude: -0.1511 / 0°9'3"W

OS Eastings: 528384

OS Northings: 181427

OS Grid: TQ283814

Mapcode National: GBR BB.79

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.B4H8

Entry Name: Hinde Street Methodist Church

Listing Date: 26 April 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210195

Location: Westminster, London, W1U

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2881 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER HINDE STREET, Wl
55/24
26.4.78 Hinde Street Methodist
Church
G.V. II
Church. 1881-87 by James Weir. Gault brick, channelled to ground floor,
and brown stone dressings; slate roof. Corner site. A classical church
design with some English Baroque references. The front has slightly
projecting, central, 2-storeyed, pedimented entrance portico flanked by
pavilions (reminiscent of St. Paul's Cathedral and similarly with paired
columns and carved tympanum). Rising over western corner pavilion is a
3-stage octagonal tower and spire, set above 4 solid finialed pinnacles at
corners; lower stage has semicircular arched windows with engaged
Corinthian columns at angles supporting entablature and balustrade; smaller
middle stage with narrow semicircular arched openings; spire stage
supported by consoles above pilasters. Beyond corner pavilion the 4-bay
return to Thayer Street sets back, with ground floor windows, as on front,
with cornices on consoles, while the gallery windows have dentilled
pediments on pilasters and inset balustrades; the bays are divided by
superimposed orders of Doric and Corinthian engaged columns; crowning
entablature and balustraded parapet. The eastern corner pavilion
originally intended to have balancing tower and spire. For Church House
see under No. 19 Thayer Street, WI.


Listing NGR: TQ2838481427

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.