History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Abbey United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Romsey, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9888 / 50°59'19"N

Longitude: -1.5006 / 1°30'2"W

OS Eastings: 435146

OS Northings: 121163

OS Grid: SU351211

Mapcode National: GBR 757.Z9X

Mapcode Global: FRA 76RH.M6L

Entry Name: The Abbey United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 4 December 1972

Last Amended: 15 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139442

Location: Romsey, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO51

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Romsey

Built-Up Area: Romsey

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Romsey St Mary and St Ethelflaeda

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Romsey

Listing Text

ABBEY WATER
1. -----------
1559 Congregational Church.
Gateway to the Abbey.
SU 3521 4/45

II GV

2.
1886-8. Bonella and Paull. Fine building of flint with stone dressings; Perpendicular
style. Central aisle of 4 bays each with 2 3-light Perpendicular windows in clerestory;
lean-to side aisles with crenellated parapets, east aisle canted inwards at south-east
end, west aisle with vestry at south-west end. Main doorway at north end of east aisle;
4 centred door in deep moulded reveals with carved spandrels and with elaborate stonework
over. At north end of central aisle, an 8-light Perpendicualr window in 5 tiers. Inside,
wooden galleries along east, north and south sides. On north-east corner, a tall gate-
house which straddles the road called The Abbey. Dressed flint with stone dressings.
Tall wide 4-centred arch spanning the road; ribbed stone vault with carved bosses. Above
this, on east side, one 2-light window, set in square arch each light with 4-centred head.
Above, moulded stone string with gargoyles. Over these, 3 single light windows in reveals, each
light with a cusped head, and above each of these a blind 2-light stone panel, each light
with applied cusped tracery. Hood mould above each, rising to form a crenellated parapet
with gable over. To south, turret with an elaborately carved ogee shaped cupola of stone.

Congregational Church Nos 8 to 12 (even) and Nos 18 to 24 (even) form a group.

Congregational Church shall be amended to read The Abbey United Reformed Church.

The group notes should be amended to read:

The Abbey United Reformed Church, Nos 8 to 12 (even) and Nos 18 to 24 (even) form a group.

Group value appearing against entries for Nos 8 to 12 (even) and Nos 18 to
24 (even), Abbey Water should be amended to read:

The Abbey United Reformed Church, Nos 8 to 12 (even) and Nos 18 to 24 (even)
form a group.

----------------------------------------------
ABBEY WATER
1. ------------
1559 Congregational church.
Gateway to the Abbey.
SU 3521 4/45

II GV


2.
1886-8. Bonella and Paull. Fine building of flint with stone dressings;
Perpendicular style. Central aisle of 4 bays each with 2 3-light Perpendicular
windows in clerestory; lean-to side aisles with crenellated parapets, east
aisle canted inwards at south-east end, west aisle with vestry at south-west
end. Main doorway at north end of east aisle; 4 centred door in deep moulded
reveals with carved spandrels and with elaborate stonework over. At north
end of central aisle, an 8-light Perpendicular window in 5 tiers. Inside,
wooden galleries along east, north and south sides. On north-east corner,
a tall gatehouse which straddles the road called The Abbey. Dressed flint
with stone dressings. Tall wide 4-centred arch spanning the road; ribbed
stone vault with carved bosses. Above this, on east side, one 2-light window,
set in square arch, each light with 4-centred head. Above, moulded stone
string with gargoyles. Over these, 3 single light windows in reveals, each
light with a cusped head, and above each of these a blind 2-light stone
panel, each light with applied cusped tracery. Hood mould above each,
rising to form a crenellated parapet with gable over. To south, turret with
an elaborately carved ogee shaped cupola of stone.

Congregational Church Nos 8 to 12 (even) and Nos 18 to 24 (even) form a
group.


Listing NGR: SU3514921130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.