History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Freshford, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3373 / 51°20'14"N

Longitude: -2.3093 / 2°18'33"W

OS Eastings: 378550

OS Northings: 159851

OS Grid: ST785598

Mapcode National: GBR 0R4.4Z4

Mapcode Global: VH96T.XNJ4

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 23 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32418

Location: Freshford, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Freshford

Built-Up Area: Freshford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Freshford

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-

ST 75 NE FRESHFORD SHARPSTONE

5/55 Methodist Chapel

II
GV

Methodist Chapel. Built c.1783 and extended 1850. Limestone ashlar, with
pantile roof to late. C18 part and Welsh slate roof to mid C19 part.T-plan
with mid C19 extension forming cross wing to right. One-storey late C18 facade
of 3 bays, with central doorway having C20 plank doors set in ogee-headed
ovolo-moulded architrave flanked by Y-tracery windows with late C19
glazing-bar casements set in pointed moulded arches. Gable end to right,
of mid C19 wing, has 3 double-chamfered graduated lancets set above pointed-
arched doorway with plank door. Right side wall has 4 chamfered lancets.
Rear of late C18 part has 2 similar Y-tracery windows set in pointed arches
and a late C18 panelled door. Interior: late C18 chapel has original
coved cornice. Mid C19 chapel has mid C19 pews, balcony with Gothic-style
front set on cast-iron columns, corbels to arch-braced king-post roof
and a reredos made of reset late C18 fielded panelling. Opened C.1783
by John Wesley, who preached here several times and mentioned it in his
journals.


Listing NGR: ST7855059851

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.