History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Padbury, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9721 / 51°58'19"N

Longitude: -0.9512 / 0°57'4"W

OS Eastings: 472141

OS Northings: 230921

OS Grid: SP721309

Mapcode National: GBR BZH.6BL

Mapcode Global: VHDT9.GPHK

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231852

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407106

Location: Padbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Padbury

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Padbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adstock

Listing Text

SP 7230 PADBURY CHURCH LANE

10/101 Church of St. Mary
the Virgin

13/7/66
II*

Parish church. C13 nave, chancel and W. tower. C14 aisles, C16
alterations, tower rebuilt C17. Much restored 1830 and 1882. Late
C19 S. porch. Early C20 vestry to N. side of tower. Coursed rubble
stone, flat lead roof to nave and aisles, tiled roof to chancel. W. tower
of three stages with plinth, parapet, pointed openings to bell-chamber,
tall arched W. door with modern round headed window above. Nave has
rendered clerestory : three round cusped C14 windows to N., four 3-light
Perpendicular windows to S., much restored, with blind circular window
to centre over porch. S. aisle has paired lancets to W. wall,
Perpendicular windows to S. and E. walls. C14 S. door, restored,
with continuous moulded arch and jambs and earlier label with nailhead
ornament and carved head stops. N. aisle has Decorated windows. Chancel
has small low lancets to W. and 2-light windows to E., that to N. with
Y tracery that to S. Decorated.3-light E. window with reticulated
tracery. Interior: tower has triple chamfered arch on carved head
corbels. Nave of four bays: double chamfered arcade on octagonal
piers with moulded caps, end arches on corbels, some with carved heads.
Early C13 chancel arch, rebuilt, on piers with wide segmental pilasters.
Roofs have some original timbers, restored C17, C18 and C19. Chancel
has small aumbry and cusped ogee piscina in S. wall. S. aisle has
two trefoiled piscinas, one with dogtooth ornament. C14 figurative
wall paintings in spandrels of S. arcade and wall of N. aisle. Altar
table dated 1634. Other fittings late C19. Early C20 glass. C18
wall tablets in chancel.

RCHM II pp 231-3

Listing NGR: SP7214130921

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.