History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

67, 68 and 69, Albion Street B1

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4846 / 52°29'4"N

Longitude: -1.9136 / 1°54'49"W

OS Eastings: 405960

OS Northings: 287415

OS Grid: SP059874

Mapcode National: GBR 5X7.C6

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.ST64

Entry Name: 67, 68 and 69, Albion Street B1

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232017

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216718

Location: Birmingham, B1

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

ALBION STREET
1.
5104
Hockley B1
Nos, 67, 68 and 69
SP 0587 SE 27/4
II GV
2.
Built as the Corporation Fire Station 1909-10. Architect T G Price (The Builder
1909, ol 96, p 19), not H E Stilgoe the City Surveyor referred to on the
foundation stone. A large asymmetrical extended L-plan block of buildings
on a corner site. Built on 2 and 3 storeys of thin, machined, hard red bricks
with rebated pointing and ashlar dressings. Baroque derivation, the design
combines Edwardian "Wrenaissance" elements with Birmingham Arts and Crafts
motifs. Steep pitched roofs with stone coped gable ends and stone eaves cornices;
the ridge of the fire station proper is surmounted by a small cupola;
slightly battered chimney stacks with sharply cut stone cornices. The dominant
theme in the fire station corner block is the use of large scale stone arcaded
ground floor openings with squat piers and boldly modelled arches with triple
keys. This arch motif is echoed by the heavy door hood in the 2 storey link
with the north-east wing, in the crest above in the parapet and again in the
semi-circular pediment above the revealed centre bay of the otherwise plain
end block of the wing. The fire station proper has first floor windows
in eased architraves with cambered cornices, the parapet being raised in small
gables above the first 3 bays but stopping short where the eaves of the roof
are carried out over the plain fourth bay. In the 2 storey link and the 3
storey gabled section of the wing (balancing the fire station) the windows
have architraves and cornices with keys. The revealed centre bay beneath
the gable is entirely stone dressed with chequerwork to it rounded head.
Yard entrance flanked by piers to south-east with single storey gate house
beyond, similarly detailed to the main block. A prominent corner site.

Listing NGR: SP0595487414

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.