This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0174 / 51°1'2"N
Longitude: -0.7487 / 0°44'55"W
OS Eastings: 487866
OS Northings: 124970
OS Grid: SU878249
Mapcode National: GBR DDP.3J4
Mapcode Global: FRA 96BF.657
Entry Name: Chapel at the King Edward Vii Hospital to the West of the Main Building
Listing Date: 2 March 1973
Last Amended: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301698
Location: Easebourne, Chichester, West Sussex, GU29
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Easebourne
Built-Up Area: Cocking
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Easebourne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1899/11/66A WEST HEATH ROAD
02-MAR-73 Chapel at the King Edward VII Hospital
to the west of the main building
(Formerly listed as:
WEST HEATH ROAD
Chapel to King Edward VII Sanatorium)
Hospital chapel. Rainwater heads dated 1905, chapel opened in 1906. Architects Adams, Holden and Pearson, but stylistically this building is most likely to be by Charles Holden, in a mixture of Free Tudor and Romanesque styles. The chapel was the gift of Sir John Brickwood, a Portsmouth brewer. This chapel was built to a unique plan as some members of the King's sanatorium committee suggested that an open air plan should be designed for the hospital's tubercolosis sufferers. The architect's response was a V-shaped plan facing south with separate naves for men and women patients, a central chancel, open arcaded cloisters and an open air pulpit for fine weather.
EXTERIOR: Built of red and grey bricks in courses. Tiled roof with gablets. Six leaded light casement windows with stone mullions to clerestoreys but south facing Bath stone colonnade of five round-headed arches to each nave and triangular entrances at the outer ends with stone columns. The chancel is octagonal with projecting buttresses at the corners and an octagonal timber turret above the dome with metal weathervane. Bath stone outdoor pulpit in southern intersection of the V.
INTERIOR: Naves have barrel-vaulted plastered roofs and stone walls. The former open cloister to the south was sympathetically glazed in 1957 by Brian Poulter following new treatment for tuberculosis. The opposite sides have giant blank round-headed arches. The York stone floor was warmed by the early use of an underfloor piped heating system. The chancel has a Romanesque quality with a series of open and blind arches, some containing subsidiary arches to the lower level. The cardinal sides of the octagon have three arches separated by columned piers. From the piers spring a higher central arch and this whole composition is enclosed in an arched recess. The other sides of the octagon have two arched openings with a central columned support, set within a larger arch. Above this is a single, plain-headed lancet. The chancel furnishings were made by C R Ashbee with pulpit, lectern and altar of carved teak with inlays of ebony.
["Architectural Review 1906 p278 onwards.
"Buildings of England: Sussex"pp251-252.
Jeremy Taylor "Hospital and Asylum Architecture in England 1810-1914." Pp 165-166.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings