History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beechwood

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Lavington, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9381 / 50°56'17"N

Longitude: -0.6516 / 0°39'5"W

OS Eastings: 494839

OS Northings: 116276

OS Grid: SU948162

Mapcode National: GBR FH3.42S

Mapcode Global: FRA 96JM.FZL

Entry Name: Beechwood

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301704

Location: East Lavington, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: East Lavington

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Graffham St Giles with Woolavington St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Selham

Listing Text


SU 91 NW EAST LAVINGTON BEECHWOOD LANE
18/4 Beechwood
18.6.59
II*
House. Originally the Rectory. C18 house, possibly designed by James Lewis, the
architect of the original portion of Lavington Park, for James Sargent MP in 1794,
when Lavington Park was built. Altered in 1939 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. 2 storeys
and attic. 5 windows. 1 hipped dormer. Faced with roughcast, colourwashed pink.
Eaves cornice. Hipped slate roof. The 2 easternmost window bays of the south
front are slightly recessed. This portion and the main section are flanked by
chamfered stone quoins. Glazing bars intact. At the east end is an octagonal
ground floor room with a ball cap at the apex of its roof. This was originally
an embrasure leading out of the Hall but Lutyens made it into a separate room.
Porch with square wooden columns, probably added by Lutyens, and veranda to the
east of it between the porch and the octagonal projection. The north or garden
front is similar except that it is the 2 westernmost window bays which are recessed
with a recessed portico on their ground floor. Lutyens altered the house for his
daughter Mrs Barbara Wallace, subsequently Mrs Herbert Agar. Sir Edwin Lutyens
himself lived in the house for some time after 1939. But the most important
association of the house is with the Reverend Henry (after Cardinal) Manning who
in his Church of England days resided here from 1833-51 when he was Rector of East
Lavington and Graffham and Archdeacon of Chichester. He was married in East
Lavington Church to Caroline, third daughter of the previous Rector, the Reverend
John Sargent. Mrs Manning is buried in East Lavington Churchyard. Graded for
Historical interest.


Listing NGR: SU9483916276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.